If you are ready to become enrolled in a MSW program to help support your career, you should seek out MSW programs in Nevada. There are only 3 Nevada based universities with a MSW program. You might consider looking for a campus based MSW degree in California, or consider an online program.
The University of Nevada may be the top provider of MSW programs, with locations in both Las Vegas and Reno. These 2 cities are leading areas for upcoming social work professionals seeking a great quality education.
At the University of Nevada, students can find accredited programs that fit their needs. The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) is an agency that you should familiarize yourself with, since it reviews and accredits MSW programs that can lead to licensure. Each program provided by the University of Nevada currently holds CSWE accreditation, which may be part of the reason why it is the most popular choice for new social work learners.
Online MSW Programs in Nevada
If convenience in education is what you seek, the University of Nevada at Reno may be your best bet. The Advanced Generalist MSW program at this school is currently offered in a completely online format.
The curriculum within this program may be driven by the need for well-rounded and experienced social work professionals in different sectors of social and public services.
If you know that you are interested in working in the field of social work but do not have a particular specialization in mind for your program, the Advanced Generalist specialization may be the right choice for you.
The Flexibility of Studying Online
The glamour of online MSW programs may revolve around their convenient capabilities of allowing students to complete coursework on their own time. Most students log in late at night or early in the morning, so that they do not have to interrupt their normal schedules during the week.
Consider if you have to do a "residency" or internship.
The University of Nevada Reno's online MSW program may require that students attend a single 2-day residency on campus that can help to intertwine what is learned in the online course room with actual practice in a real-world setting.
This program currently contains CSWE accreditation and can help you meet the licensing recommendations of the Nevada Board Of Examiners For Social Workers.
Nevada Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Social Work professionals in Nevada can be influential professionals for individuals in need of guidance in their personal lives. The rate of pay for professionals in this field can vary depending on the type of clients you work with in the field and the area in which you choose to work.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $49,100 median salary per year. The Child, Family, and School Social Worker may be part of a larger team working to provide children and families with resources for home and school success. Conducting assessments, referring to community health and mental health services, and client advocacy are some of the primary components of being a professional in this line of work.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $70,200 median salary per year. As a Healthcare Social Worker, you may be responsible for coordinating health services for your clients. In some cases, you may refer your clients out for needed mental health services when they are experiencing a difficulty with coping with serious health issues and the life changes that can result from them. Healthcare Social Workers can also help families establish safe environments for family members returning from hospitalization.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $59,070 median salary per year. Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers can provide their clients with access to career resources, support groups, and even housing resources during the normal course of their work day. Individual and group meetings may also be commonplace in the career field, along with personalized home visits.
- Social Workers, All Other: $79,030 median salary per year. If you are interested in pursuing additional paths in Social Work, you could consider pursuing a career as a client advocate in the court system or social work educator at the collegiate level. Some Social Workers also move forward into clinical positions after pursuing higher training and certification in their field.
Social Worker Salaries in Nevada
- Carson City: $53,160 median salary per year
- Las Vegas: $81,310 median salary per year
- Reno: $80,710 median salary per year
- Paradise: $81,310 median salary per year
Nevada Social Work Licensure
The licensing agency for upcoming Social Workers in Nevada is The Nevada Board of Examiners for Social Workers. This agency currently has 2 licensing options for you to consider along your path.
- The Licensed Social Worker (LSW) option requires that you hold at BSW or MSW from an accredited university, complete the ASWB board examination, and submit documentation such as your birth certificate, identification, and background check.
- The Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW) option requires similar documentation requirements, but also includes a supervision requirement of 3,000 clinical hours under the direct supervision of a LISW.
There may be several different attributes of social work that can make it so attractive to new college students. Social work as a discipline may be focused on the needs of individuals and the greater population, which can draw in many different students with varying personal agendas.