Consider a Featured CSWE Accredited Online MSW Program
Illinois MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
The social work field requires that students have an extensive educational background and licensure prior to working in certain positions, and most states require a MSW degree from a CSWE accredited university prior to earning LCSW licensure.
If you are one of the many people that may be interested in being a part of this field, you should learn more about what this state requires in order to be licensed.
Illinois currently consists of 2 online CSWE accredited MSW programs, each of which provides their own special take on the social work profession. Depending on what you require or desire as a student, either program could be the right choice for you.
In Illinois, cities such as Champaign or Chicago may be the most popular for online MSW programs. Within these cities, universities such as Loyola University and the University of Illinois provide online MSW programs that have been accredited by the CSWE.
Taking part in online MSW programs can help you to obtain positions in social work such as policy administrator, family service professional or even social work management. The skills taught within these programs can help you better assess the needs of others and help them come in contact with agencies that can benefit their wellness.
Consider featured online MSW programs that are currently accepting applicants for their Master of Social Work degree.
Consider a Featured Online Social Work Program
|School / Program||Online Program / Entry Reqs||Advanced Standing Availability / Course Information|
|University of Denver||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing Program available. Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.Learn More
|Fordham University||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. Advanced standing and traditional MSW options. Four areas of focus: Individuals and Families, Organizations and Community, Evaluation, and Policy Practice and Advocacy.Learn More
|University of Southern California||✔ Online|
Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.).Learn More
|University of Kentucky||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. MSW program includes options for an advanced-standing program (30 credits) and a 60-credit regular standing program.Learn More
|Baylor University||✔ Online|
No GRE Scores Required
Advanced Standing Program available. 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.Learn More
|Case Western Reserve University||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing available. Earn your online master’s in social work from Case Western Reserve University, a top-ranked school of social work. No GRE required.Learn More
Since your journey to the field of social work includes obtaining a license, you should always be up to date on the requirements for social workers in your state. Each state has specific requirements that you must meet prior to being approved for licensure.
In the state of Illinois, social work students must apply for licensure and be approved through the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Familiarizing yourself with this agency can assist you throughout your journey.
Online MSW Programs in Illinois
Where you choose to pursue your online MSW degree can be directly related to the type of career you obtain after graduation. Some universities in Illinois offer diverse specialization options that can be applicable to the type of career you seek, while others may offer generalized programs that can help you fit into many different social organizations.
Earn your Master of Social Work online from the University of Denver's top-20 school of social work. CSWE-accredited. MSW @ Denver offers two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.
Fordham's top-ranked Graduate School of Social Service offers a future-focused online MSW program, preparing students for integrated practice with all populations. Bachelor's degree required. CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information.
Lead change at the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.). CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information at MSW.USC.edu.
Illinois Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
The state of Illinois can be an excellent place to utilize your MSW degree. Education, Mental Health, Addictions, and even Healthcare are some of the most popular fields for incoming Social Workers to call home.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $52,000 median salary per year. Social Workers within this domain can work closely with clients to ensure their overall treatment. Arranging therapy, following school progress, and supervising visitations are just a few of the many duties of workers within this specialty area.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $50,880 median salary per year. Social Workers in the field of healthcare can be the voice for their clients as treatment programs are developed. They may also work with families to determine the need for certain services, set up additional services, and follow-up with patients for a period of time after hospital discharge.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $43,100 median salary per year. Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers may be involved in therapeutic treatment planning, medication management, and follow-up services for individuals within these two settings. Service coordination and regular assessment from Social Workers can help to ensure that clients receive the help and support they need to succeed.
- Social Workers, All Other: $61,280 median salary per year. Social Workers can be valuable assets to organizations that serve individuals in the legal system, welfare departments, and within non-profit agencies. Social Workers can assist with finding careers, food and shelter resources, or even with organizing educational services for a wide range of clients.
Social Worker Salaries in Illinois
- Bloomington: $36,840 median salary per year
- Davenport: $46,660 median salary per year
- Chicago: $63,360 median salary per year
- Rock Island: $46,660 median salary per year
Illinois Social Work Licensure
The current licensing agency for Social Workers in Illinois is The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. This organization offers licensing as a Licensed Social Worker (LSW) for MSW graduates.
Both BSW and MSW graduate of CSWE-accredited degree programs can qualify for this licensure but MSW graduates are not required to engage in the 3 year work experience requirement. Successful passing of the ASWB exam is also a requirement for licensing.
A Review of a Few Illinois MSW Programs
The list of schools below are popular and accredited universities found within the state of Illinois that you could potentially benefit from choosing.
- Loyola University Chicago: Chicago’s Loyola University can provide students with a CSWE-accredited online MSW program for their future. If you are interested in full-time or advanced standing programs, this university could be the right choice for you. With multiple start dates per year, Loyola University can provide an even more flexible option for students that are prepared to start their program immediately.
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Students interested in pursuing online MSW specializations in Leadership and Social Change, Mental Health, Health Care, Children, Youth, and Family Services or School Social Work may do so through the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. These online MSW options can be excellent for students that are seeking diverse specialization options through an online format. These programs are fully online and offered in full-time, part-time, and advanced standing format.
There are numerous options for Masters of Social Work degrees in Illinois – most are CSWE accredited (Council on Social Work Education – the best accreditation for social work degrees in the United States).
It is not surprising that Chicago has the most options for MSW programs out of all of the other towns and cities in Illinois. There are 7 MSW programs in Chicago. Below are all of the CSWE accredited Master of Social Work degrees in Illinois.
Recap of Illinois MSW Programs and Licensure
- MSW Programs: There are 15 MSW programs in Illinois, but limited Online MSW programs (click for info).
- CSWE Accredited MSW Programs: All campus based MSW programs are CSWE accredited. Check out this list of CSWE Accredited MSW programs that are fully online.
- Social Work Licensure: Licensure is required and run by The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
List of MSW Programs in Illinois
University of Denver
University of Southern California
George Mason University
University of Kentucky
CSWE Accredited Illinois MSW Programs
The CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) is the top accrediting board for MSW programs. Below you will find a list of CSWE accredited social work programs in Illinois.