Consider a Featured CSWE Accredited Online MSW Program
North Carolina MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
North Carolina is known to be a beautiful and tranquil place to call home. Within this incredible state, social work prospects may find opportunities that can assist them in becoming educated and licensed professionals within their field.
Through online MSW programs, students can dive deeper into the social issues that are presented to residents, as well as the many different options for changing lives. If you live in NC and are looking for online MSW programs to engage in, read more in the guide below.
In the state of North Carolina, the most popular city for online MSW programs is Chapel Hill. This city provides the most preferred online MSW program through the University of North Carolina, as well as one of the most well-known universities.
UNC has CSWE-accreditation for their program, which means its quality has been thoroughly reviewed and accepted by the accreditation agency. Residents from all over the state can apply for this program, making it a great option for you regardless of where you currently reside.
Consider featured online MSW programs that are currently accepting applicants for their Master of Social Work degree.
Consider a Featured Online Social Work Program
|School / Program||Online Program / Entry Reqs||Advanced Standing Availability / Course Information|
|University of Denver||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing Program available. Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.Learn More
|Fordham University||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. Advanced standing and traditional MSW options. Four areas of focus: Individuals and Families, Organizations and Community, Evaluation, and Policy Practice and Advocacy.Learn More
|University of Southern California||✔ Online|
Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.).Learn More
|University of Kentucky||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. MSW program includes options for an advanced-standing program (30 credits) and a 60-credit regular standing program.Learn More
|Baylor University||✔ Online|
No GRE Scores Required
Advanced Standing Program available. 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.Learn More
|Case Western Reserve University||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing available. Earn your online master’s in social work from Case Western Reserve University, a top-ranked school of social work. No GRE required.Learn More
Overview of MSW Social Work Degrees in North Carolina
While knowing where to obtain your degree is an important tidbit of information, students should also know which agency regulates the licensure for social workers within their state.
Through these agencies, you can learn more about the specific requirements for obtaining licensure, which schools are recommended and methods for licensure upkeep throughout your career.
In North Carolina, social workers are licensed through the North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board.
North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board
The North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board (NCSWCLB) sets standards for the educational training, experience, qualifications for all social workers in the state of North Carolina.
The NCSWCLB is responsible for social work certification and licensure for certified social worker licensure and licensed clinical social worker licensure.
Online MSW Programs in North Carolina
Deciding to pursue your degree online can be an excellent choice for flexibility throughout your degree programs. Online degree programs can provide the same level of quality in their courses and assignments as standard programs, while allowing you to engage in your daily responsibilities without interference.
In North Carolina, students can take part in online MSW programs through reputable universities that have received accreditation through the CSWE. Depending on the type of program you enroll in, there may be some in-person requirements to be completed before the conclusion of your degree program.
Earn your Master of Social Work online from the University of Denver's top-20 school of social work. CSWE-accredited. MSW @ Denver offers two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.
Fordham's top-ranked Graduate School of Social Service offers a future-focused online MSW program, preparing students for integrated practice with all populations. Bachelor's degree required. CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information.
Lead change at the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.). CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information at MSW.USC.edu.
North Carolina Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Social workers can find careers working in local and state agencies, healthcare centers, and even within mental health organizations. Take a look at some of the career titles and salaries listed below.
- Child, Family, and School Social Work: $46,240 median salary per year. Child, Family, and School Social Workers may be responsible for working with families that have involvement in the social service system or with those that are struggling in terms of housing or employment. Assessments, treatment planning, and school/home visits are some of the major responsibilities of professionals in this field.
- Healthcare Social Work: $53,600 median salary per year. Healthcare Social Workers can work with clients to ensure that they have access to adequate medical care and understand their rights to fair medical treatment. Part of the role of the Social Worker in this field may be to conduct regular visits, accompany patients to doctor visits, and partner with client families when working to obtain needed medical services and health insurance.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Work: $48,550 median salary per year. Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers can work with mental health agencies or within rehabilitation facilities. Assistance from Social Workers can assist clients with finding support services to help make their treatment effective through a strong and positive environment.
- Social Work, All Other: $63,270 median salary per year. Alternative Social Work positions in North Carolina may also be available to interested professionals. Non-profit organizations and the court system are just a few of the alternative employers of Social Workers within this state.
Social Worker Salaries in North Carolina
- Asheville: $67,340 median salary per year
- Burlington: $44,610 median salary per year
- Charlotte: $67,850 median salary per year
- Chapel Hill: $71,870 median salary per year
North Carolina Social Work Licensure
Upcoming social work professionals in North Carolina can look to The North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board for information on beginning their journey in this field.
The most popular licensing option for individuals in this state is the Certified Master Social Worker (CMSW) option, which first requires a CSWE-accredited master's program. Graduates must also provide scores from the ASWB examination during the application process to be considered for licensing.
Spotlight on One Online MSW Program in North Carolina
- The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill: The most popular university for students interested in pursuing the MSW online is the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. This school provides an online MSW program that can be completed in around 3 years. Students with extensive work experience in the field of social work may also take advantage of an advanced standing option which can reduce the amount of time it takes to complete their degree. Specialization options at this school include: Direct Practice and Community, Management, and Policy Practice.
Recap of North Carolina MSW Programs and Licensure
- North Carolina MSW Programs: Overall there are 14 MSW programs in North Carolina.
- CSWE Accredited MSW Programs: All 14 MSW programs in North Carolina are CSWE accredited. There is one online MSW program at UNC. Review the list of Online CSWE Accredited MSW programs for more options.
- Social Work Licensure: The North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board runs Social Work Licensure in North Carolina.
List of MSW Programs in North Carolina
University of Denver
University of Southern California
University of Kentucky
Our Lady of the Lake University
CSWE Accredited North Carolina MSW Programs
The CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) is the top accrediting board for MSW programs. Below you will find a list of CSWE accredited social work programs in North Carolina.