1-Year MSW programs were designed for current social work professionals seeking quick entry into higher level positions. The most qualified candidate for this program should already have a BSW from a reputable and accredited university, as well as some work experience in the field of social work. Since BSW earners can obtain licensure and begin working in social work positions at that degree level, a lot of applicants to MSW programs are currently licensed and simply seeking better paying positions by advancing their degree. Some professionals may also be interested in pursuing clinical-based degrees in the future.
Regardless of your future intentions, if you already hold your BSW, this is a degree program for you to consider. You may also consider the Advanced Standing MSW program, which is designed for BSW degree holders.
Consider a Featured Online MSW ProgramClick the university name for information on admissions, courses, status of accreditation, and more.
|School / Program||Online Program?||Advanced Standing Availability||Course Information|
|Fordham University||cast_connected Online||check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||class Accelerated, full-time, and part-time options. Advanced standing for qualified students with a BSW|
|Baylor University||cast_connected Online
No GRE Scores Required
|check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||class 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.|
|University of Denver||cast_connected Online
No GRE Required
|check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||class Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW|
|Simmons University||cast_connected Online
No GRE Required
|check_circle Accelerated Track Available||class Accelerated 15-month immersive program|
|University of Southern California||cast_connected Online
Bachelor's Degree Required.
|check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||class Advanced standing program available to earn an MSW degree in under 1 year|
|Regis College||cast_connected Online||check_circle Apply with No GRE||class Complete in as few as 8 semesters|
Americans may have set themselves apart from the rest of the world with the implementation of technologically advanced gadgets and software that were meant to make their lives more convenient. In a sense, this country may be built upon providing convenient options for citizens so that they can focus more on advancing society further and further into the future.
On top of all of this advancement, you may also notice that there are many aspects in education that might be following suit. One example of this type of quick advancement may be the implementation of 1-Year MSW programs throughout the United States.
Online One Year MSW Programs
When you thought that you have seen it all with the implementation of 1-Year MSW programs, colleges all over the country came along and added even more unbelievable additions to their MSW program. Universities offering 1-Year MSW programs also offer these programs in the online setting.
Not only can you complete this degree program in an extremely short time period, but you can also complete the whole program through online degree programs. This can be an incredibly diverse option for current professionals that are seeking quick and easy methods for advancing their degrees. If you might be interested in learning more about this amazing degree programs, continue reading more about them in this section.
The online 1-Year MSW programs were designed for social work professionals that have had hands on experience in the field. This typically means that Licensed Bachelor Social Workers (LBSWs) are the primary applicants for these programs. In the online setting, you can log into your classroom from anywhere with an internet connection.
Checking your homework for the week can be done first thing in the morning or even in the middle of the night. Most online programs do not require that you log in at certain times, but rather provide you with larger increments of time for logging in. For example, one online university requires that students log in at least once a week to check assignments, take part in discussions and submit any homework due that week.
It can be easy to simply choose a degree program, enroll and just do whatever it takes to complete it. Such a big decision should consist of much more thought and consideration for your own needs and the factors that can help you work around an already busy schedule. Online 1-Year MSW programs can be a great relief for BSW holders that are ready to pursue better opportunities within the social work field. If this sounds like your situation, our team encourages you to take a look at some of the colleges below that are offering these programs online. An advancement to your future could be just an application away.
- Boise State University: In terms of reliable degree programs, Boise State University may top the charts. This school currently provides an online MSW program that can be completed in as little as 12 months. In order to be considered for this 100% online MSW program, students must have completed their BSW within the last 5 years and have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. This degree program can be an excellent method for degree acquisition for current social workers seeking advancement within their field.
- The University of Southern California: Social work professionals interested in pursuing a higher level degree can potentially complete the online MSW at USC in as little as 1 year. This program consists of coursework throughout 3 semesters, which contains courses relating to adult mental health, youth and families and social change. In total, students may be expected to complete 37 credit hours throughout the duration of this program in order to graduate.
- The University of Tennessee at Knoxville: The University of Tennessee at Knoxville has long been a reliable resource for students interested in becoming effective and knowledgeable social workers. The advanced standing program at this university consists of a 672 field placement requirement which can be completed within the community. The full-time advanced standing program can be completed in 12 months, but part-time options are also available.
Typical Coursework to Expect
Expect a much more rigorous program schedule for the One Year MSW.
Students that are reviewing these programs as potentials for their future may be wondering how instructors fit so much information into such a small amount of time. The trick to completing your degree within 1 year lies in the amount of content that you take each semester, the implementation of summer classes and the quick advancement through each course. Accelerated programs sometimes consist of courses that can start and finish within 10-14 weeks, which means more ground can be covered in a shorter time frame than the standard semester. Students may also be required to take 2 or 3 courses at a time to finish at this rate, which is still less than full-time enrollment requirements.
The courses that you can take during your degree program may have different titles and presentation depending on the school you enroll in. Our team of educational experts currently have over a decade of experience in researching and providing information on degree programs in many different fields. These experts have looked through several different 1-Year MSW programs in order to provide you with accurate information regarding the types of courses you may be required to take throughout your program. Some of the courses found could be helpful to upcoming social work professionals that are interested in branching off into different social fields, as well as those that are maintaining their current social work standard in social services.
Some of the courses that you can take throughout this program may include those that are focused on the needs of individuals. This can include topics that relate to human behavioral and health-related needs. Also, students may be introduced to topics that are relevant to the needs of communities, or certain groups within. Minority considerations and programs are popular topics to be covered in these programs, as well as those that address the special needs of people with disabilities, women and children and even the elderly. If you want to see a more specific picture of the courses that may be offered in these programs, read more in the list below.
- Social Work Practice with Communities: Social work practice that applies to communities can be an important concept for upcoming social work professionals in any domain. Students that choose to enroll in this course can learn about diverse approaches to creating successful social bonds with their communities. Reviewing community agencies or programs for efficiency may be a topic of interest in this course, as well as identifying community needs for future program. Students may be challenged to analyze their own communities for change as part of this course’s requirements.
- Managing Human Services Organizations: Putting together courses from the BSW and MSW levels can lead to a highly-diversified understanding of social work and the human services field. This course can add to a student’s basic knowledge of human service organization by providing management and leadership skills that can assist in improving them. Conflict management, policy review and employee training and development may be some topics that are discussed in this field, which can be helpful when being a leader within human service organizations.
- Policy Practice and Advocacy: As part of your duties as a social work professional, you may be expected to constantly scrutinize social policies for improvement. In this course, you can learn about the different approaches available for analyzing current social welfare policies and advocating for needed change. You can learn about the political processes that may be involved with creating and changing these policies, which can be helpful as a social work professional seeking positive change in your field.
Understanding the Field of Social Work
Social work is an incredibly diverse field that calls upon dedicated professionals that are ready and willing to tackle some of life’s most complicated issues. One interesting factor about the field of social work is that people can present with complex issues that cannot be resolved without the help of knowledgeable social work professionals. The degree programs that are designed to prepare students for jobs in this field cannot teach students about how to use their personality to their advantage when working with clients in the field. This is why most social work degree programs may require that students either have work experience prior to entering or engage in a supervised internship prior to becoming licensed.
If you want to know more about what to expect in the social work field, you should know that the largest percentage of social work professionals currently work for the Department of Human Services. In this sector of the state, social workers are tasked with working with members of the community that are seeking resources for family nutrition, assistance with getting child or spousal support or even families that have been torn apart by substance abuse or criminal lifestyles. The job of the social worker may include more than just making phone calls and office visits. Professionals within this field may be responsible for integrating into families to identify strengths, weaknesses and programs that can benefit their needs.
While this is a popular area for social workers to pursue a career, it definitely is not the only option for social workers within this domain. Many social workers try to find careers that are in line with their interests, as well as the people that they are most passionate about working with. If you already have a good idea of the type of people you would like to work with, this may be an easy step for you. Our team challenges you to consider which group within society you would most like to influence, so that you know which field could be the most relevant to you. Making this choice prior to choosing a degree program can make your journey more enjoyable along the way.
There are many different specialized fields in which social workers can choose to pursue. Social work can be a useful tool in hospitals that are seeking people to work with clients that cannot make their own medical decisions, school systems that are seeking educated social workers to work with students through different life circumstances and educational support and even in mental health facilities with patients that have trouble understanding their treatment plans. Social workers may be the first resource for people that need help in their everyday life. If you have the yearning to help others in your heart, this could definitely be a great place for you to settle into a career.
Social Work Careers
Once you have completed your degree program and any internships that may be required throughout your degree program, you can finally breathe a breath of fresh air and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing you have met your goal. At this point, you may already have a good idea of what you would like to do with your new degree. However, for some graduates, there may be opportunities available that they were not aware of. Aside from the general social worker title, there are various positions that can be filled by professionals that are knowledgeable of the field of social work and the various social systems currently influencing society today.
The master’s level social worker can be a great leader in some of the common social and welfare fields available today. Having experience and more advanced learning through their degree program can provide a great foundation for providing assistance to others that are working directly in the public domain. These professionals may observe social workers while working with their clients to ensure that they are providing the right type of support for what is needed. They may also keep reports on data pertaining to the clients of their social workers, so that they can monitor overall progress of their team. In the event that changes are needed, leaders in the social work field may sometimes be the first person to step up and recommend action.
1-Year MSW programs can be a great way for professionals to quickly move into higher level positions in social service agencies all over the country. Students that enter into these programs are often those that desire further learning about social systems and policies, as well as those that are seeking advanced techniques to use in the field. As a professional, there should be a constant desire to learn more about your field so that you can always provide the best quality of service to the people you work with. Below this section, our team of educational experts has provided a list of common careers available to professionals at this degree level. Take a look below to see what you could pursue after completing this program.
- Gerontological Social Worker
- Psychiatric Social Worker
- Public Health Social Worker
- Social Worker in Adoption/Foster Care Services