Consider Featured Online Social Work Programs
The purpose of an Advanced Standing MSW program is to advance your understanding of various social work topics without providing a lot of repetitious information that you have already learned in previous degree programs.
Most Advanced Standing MSW Programs require a BSW, or a Bachelor's degree in Social Work. This requirement, however, helps you to get a jump-start on your Master's-level social work courses. Most Advanced Standing Master of Social Work degree programs are shorter than the Traditional MSW program.
Many colleges of social work are offering their Advanced Standing MSW online in conjunction with a Traditional MSW program. Keep in mind that CSWE accredited programs are preferred in most states for their licensure - there are a number of online CSWE accredited Advanced Standing MSW programs - be sure to speak with the admissions representatives at each school you are considering.
Students that are able to enroll in these programs may have the added benefit of not only a shorter completion time, but potentially lower tuition costs for their Master's in Social Work degree. If you have already completed your BSW and are seeking advancement options in your current career, you should consider Advanced Standing MSW degree programs near you or online.
Consider a Featured Online Social Work Program
|School / Program||Online Program / Entry Reqs||Advanced Standing Availability / Course Information|
|University of Kentucky||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. MSW program includes options for an advanced-standing program (30 credits) and a 60-credit regular standing program.Learn More
|University of Denver||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing Program available. Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.Learn More
|University of Southern California||✔ Online|
Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.).Learn More
|Fordham University||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. Advanced standing and traditional MSW options. Four areas of focus: Individuals and Families, Organizations and Community, Evaluation, and Policy Practice and Advocacy.Learn More
|Baylor University||✔ Online|
No GRE Scores Required
Advanced Standing Program available. 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.Learn More
|Case Western Reserve University||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing available. Earn your online master’s in social work from Case Western Reserve University, a top-ranked school of social work. No GRE required.Learn More
Several Online MSW Programs with Advanced Standing Options
- Boston University: The advanced standing online MSW program at Boston University can be a great resource for upcoming master’s learners interested in applying what they have learned from undergraduate programs in social work. In order to be accepted into this program, students must currently hold a BSW from a CSWE-accredited university. Students can then apply 22 to 25 hours from their bachelor’s program towards their MSW. In addition to completing 43 addition credit hours for their degree, students in this program must also enroll in and complete a 1,000 hour internship through the school.
- Florida State University: If you have already completed a BSW at an accredited university, you may be looking for methods to jumpstart your advancement within a quicker time-frame. Florida State University currently offers an advanced standing track to students that have completed their BSW, have a minimum of 400 field experience hours and a minimum GPA of 3.0 during your undergraduate program. The advanced standing track can be completed in around 2 years for most students, but does contain a part-time option for individuals with heavy work loads.
- Case Western Reserve University: Earning your BSW at an accredited university can set you on track for acceptance into advanced standing programs such as the MSW offered by Case Western Reserve University. This program requires that students complete 36 credit hours towards their degree, which can be completed in around 2 years. This program can either focus on direct social work practice or community social work practice, which can be great options for students with varying career aspirations.
Typical Coursework to Expect for the Advanced Standing MSW
The actual substance of your degree program may lie within the curriculum. Everything you need to know about a degree program can be found in the quality of the courses you take and how well the information is delivered to you. One of the benefits to online education is that you can engage in self-learning that can help you to establish study methods and learning tactics that can work for you independently. Students in the online setting may not be forced to listen to lectures or engage in classroom work that does nothing for their learning. In the online environment, students can learn at their own pace, use the online resources that are most helpful to them and take part in constructive discussions that can assist in relating the material to the real-world environment.
Advanced Standing Courses Similar to Traditional MSW Coursework
Courses that are included within the online Advanced Standing MSW program may be similar to those found in standard MSW programs. Students can learn about the actual practice of social work professionals, the application of various treatment and support techniques available for use with the public and the policies that dictate the work of social work professionals.
There may also be courses that are specific to the needs of specific specialized fields, such as behavioral and mental health, healthcare and social services. A variety of skills and techniques can be learned by students that are interested in making a difference in the lives of those they work with.
Supervised Experience Prior to Licensure
In addition to standard courses, students may also be required to take part in a supervised internship experience prior to becoming licensed at the master’s level. Many students within the advanced program may already be working full-time in the field of social work, which could help them gain the hours needed for the internship requirement.
Some universities also allow students to locate their own placements for the internship, which can ensure that you get with the right type of organization for your professional growth. In order to help you learn more about the courses in Advanced Standing MSW programs, our team of educational experts has listed some of the most common courses found within these programs.
Read through the topics provided below to become more familiar with what you may expect to see in these programs.
- Advanced Social Work Practice: As experienced social work professionals, the courses provided in this program may build upon what has been experienced in lower level programs. This course can help students learn advanced tactics and procedures used in the field of social work, as well as some clinically-focused techniques for future clinical professionals. Students may also focus on the needs of individuals and groups, since the methods for working with both may differ depending on the purpose. As part of this course’s requirements, students may be tasked with evaluating their own understanding of previously covered techniques prior to completion.
- Behavioral and Cognitive Methods for Social Work: Working with individuals or groups within the field of social work may require a greater understanding of the human brain and its processes. In this course, students can take an in-depth look at human behavior, what influences it and social factors that can negatively or positively influence behavior. Differences in cognitive ability may also be researched, which can play a role in how well people can comprehend the services being provided. In this course, students may also learn to be aware of their own perceptions of their clients, which can be helpful in providing high quality services in the field.
- Advanced Clinical Assessment and Interviewing: At the master’s level, social work students may be looking for techniques that can assist them with providing high quality care to the clients being served. This course can teach students how to conduct clinical assessments on clients in the field and properly interview new clients for services. Students can learn skills to help them work with stresses or resistant clients, as well as those that may be experiencing severe symptoms or issues.
An Overview of Social Work from the Advanced Standing Perspective
Advanced Standing MSW programs may be a primary choice for social workers that are interested in moving further ahead of others within their field. While the field of social work is primarily concerned with the needs and rights of people, higher tier social work positions may be focused on providing great quality care for all people within a community.
Management and Leadership Opportunities
In many positions, higher-tier social work professionals may be responsible for managing other social workers responsible for working with several different clients on their case loads. The role of the advanced social worker may be to review the current care being received and make suggestions to help improve the quality of service being given.
Social work leadership may be a top priority for learners at this level. Since those in these degree programs have already experienced what it is like to work within the field of social work, they may be looking for ways to move up from their current position and have more influence on society. Some positions at this level may be involved with the review and improvement of current social laws and policies that dictate how people receive services. The knowledge that professionals within this program have can help them identify areas that may need changed and submit their ideas to the right authorities.
Social Justice Rights and Policy Education
In addition to management and policy analysis, this field may also be focused on ensuring that people are educated on their rights to service. Social work can include working with the public to help educate them about the many different healthcare, education and family services that are currently available with their community.
Social workers can also implement programs through local health departments to help families learn more about nutrition and the importance of vaccinations. There are many different community-related programs that were developed by social work professionals focused more on preventing future issues that working with people that have already experienced them.
Regardless of which aspect seems the most attractive for you, you can make a difference in the lives of others by completing an Advanced Standing MSW program. Our team of educational experts encourages you to get involved with one of these programs in order to get the most out of your education and your career.
What Types of Jobs or Careers Could Be Available Upon Graduation?
When you think of social workers, what first comes to mind? For most people, people standing alongside children in a court room may be the most common viewpoint of professionals in this field. This is not an uncommon place to find social work professionals, since most of them work in social service agencies that seek to serve children.
However, social work professionals can be found in many other areas within cities and towns all over the United States. Social work professionals can provide support services to people that are experiencing traumatic life events and are in need of mental health care, people that are having trouble understanding their medical treatment plan and even people that cannot afford food or housing for their families.
One thing that each of these fields may have in common is that the social worker is the key player in finding answers for their problems. As a social worker, you can be the leading source of knowledge and assistance to those that you serve. On a daily basis, you can be interviewing clients to determine how to help them find a career that can influence their quality of life, stepping up in court to advocate for the rights of a client with substance abuse issues or even mediating clients that are seeking better educational programs for those that they love. This career field is almost as diverse as society itself. Along with diversity, it presents challenges as well as a sense of accomplishment for those involved.
If you are looking for a career that involves doing the same thing everyday, social work may not be the right choice for you. However, if you are looking for a career field that can lead you in different directions each day, challenge you to find answers to life’s most complicated questions and test your ability to work beyond the standard scope of care for your clients – social work may be the perfect option to pursue. Our team of experts wanted to leave you with a few different options for your career after graduation. Look at the list below to see some of the most common career choices for upcoming social work professionals that are interested in improving the lives of others within their communities.
- Social Service Manager
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Social Policy Analyst
- Community Support Advocate
Colleges all over the country may be offering degree programs that can assist students with gaining higher knowledge of the field of social work, so that they can implement positive influence and change into their field.
The type of degree program you choose for your higher education should be based on many different factors, some personal and some professional. The first thing to consider before enrolling in any program is your educational history. In social work degree programs, having an undergraduate degree in Social Work can assist you with taking advantage of special degree programs that were designed for people like you.