Consider a Featured CSWE Accredited Online MSW Program
Virginia MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
As a resident of the state of Virginia, you may be interested in learning more about the educational opportunities available to you as an upcoming social workers.
Our team of educational experts has reviewed accredited online MSW programs in this state and has determined that there are currently 6 CSWE accredited MSW programs in Virginia open to learners.
Through an MSW program, students can gain the skills necessary for becoming helpful professionals in the social domain, health care and even education. Online MSW programs can provide the same reliability and usefulness as traditional programs found throughout the state Virginia (although they may have their campus location in another place).
Popular cities for online and accredited MSW programs in Virginia are Richmond and Radford. Within these amazing cities, students can engage in high-quality educational programs that can set them on track for achieving success in the field of social work.
Through universities such as Radford University and Virginia Commonwealth University, students can take part in courses that instruct students on how to work with families from low income area, those that have experienced financial hardship or even work with individuals on various social needs. These universities may also provide a high focus on social policy as it relates to the position, so that students can gain more insight into how social programs are created and funded.
Consider featured online MSW programs that are currently accepting applicants for their Master of Social Work degree.
Consider a Featured Online Social Work Program
|School / Program||Online Program / Entry Reqs||Advanced Standing Availability / Course Information|
|University of Denver||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing Program available. Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.Learn More
|Fordham University||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. Advanced standing and traditional MSW options. Four areas of focus: Individuals and Families, Organizations and Community, Evaluation, and Policy Practice and Advocacy.Learn More
|University of Southern California||✔ Online|
Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.).Learn More
|University of Kentucky||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. MSW program includes options for an advanced-standing program (30 credits) and a 60-credit regular standing program.Learn More
|Baylor University||✔ Online|
No GRE Scores Required
Advanced Standing Program available. 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.Learn More
|Case Western Reserve University||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing available. Earn your online master’s in social work from Case Western Reserve University, a top-ranked school of social work. No GRE required.Learn More
Keep this in mind for social work licensure
Each state may have its own licensing agency for professionals interested in becoming licensed in their field. Through these agencies, students may be required to apply for and meet the recommendations of their state, which can result in obtaining a license to work with the public on social issues.
In the state of Virginia, students should review the requirements set forth by the Virginia Board of Social Work prior to enrolling in any program that offers social work degrees. This can help students ensure that they are choosing the right type of degree program for the career they desire.
Virginia Social Work Licensure Requirements
- Graduate with a MSW degree from a CSWE accredited MSW program
- Apply for Supervision Approval (note that in Virginia, your supervisor must have an active LCSW in Virginia AND a minimum of 2 years of post-licensure clinical social work experience)
- Gain post-MSW degree supervised experience in a clinical social work delivery setting
- Apply for LCSW Licensure by Examination
- Pass the ASWB Clinical level examination
Earn your Master of Social Work online from the University of Denver's top-20 school of social work. CSWE-accredited. MSW @ Denver offers two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.
Fordham's top-ranked Graduate School of Social Service offers a future-focused online MSW program, preparing students for integrated practice with all populations. Bachelor's degree required. CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information.
Lead change at the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.). CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information at MSW.USC.edu.
Virginia Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
The rate of pay and target client for Social Workers in Virginia can be very different depending on which type of career you choose. Check out some of the most popular career options and their salaries in the guide below.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $47,910 median salary per year. Social Work professionals in Child and Family Social Work can be integral to family healing and reunification. School Social Workers can provide on-site guidance to children in school systems, as well as work as an advocate for students during individual education programs.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $55,580 median salary per year. Healthcare Social Workers can be assigned to clients in the Healthcare system that are unable to make their own decisions about treatment and follow-up care. Learning patient background, preferences, and demographics can help you make the best decisions for your clients in the field.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $47,470 median salary per year. Social Workers in the Mental Health field can partner with therapists to ensure that clients adjust their way of life to accommodate improvements in Mental Health. Substance Abuse Social Workers can also assist clients with developing environmental plans to help support their recovery.
- Social Workers, All Other: $73,450 median salary per year. More people in Virginia may be choosing alternative Social Work career options such as Licensed Clinical Social Workers as a way to provide even more care to their clients. Clinical Social Workers can independently provide counseling services to their clients through private practice or counseling agencies.
Social Worker Salaries in Virginia
- Blacksburg: $39,140 median salary per year
- Charlottesville: $49,870 median salary per year
- Harrisonburg: $47,100 median salary per year
- Lynchburg: $40,820 median salary per year
Virginia Social Work Licensure
The Virginia Board of Social Work is the licensing agency for social work professionals in this state. There are different licensing options for individuals at the bachelor's and master's level.
Master's graduates can pursue licensing as Licensed Social Workers (LSWs), which requires an accredited MSW degree and completion of the ASWB exam. Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) licensees must also complete 3,000 hours of supervised clinical experience in addition to testing in order to qualify for their professional license at this level.
Online MSW Programs in Virginia
There are multiple options for universities that have a campus location and an online MSW program in Virginia.
Radford University currently provides 1 of the 2 online and accredited MSW programs in the state of Virginia. This program is offered to current students in a part-time format, which can be completed in around 2-3 years. Some students may be required to attend class on campus some Saturdays, which can allow students to become more familiar with social concepts needed to excel in the field. This online MSW program may allow students to specialize in Community-based Family Practice, which is a great choice for students interested in improving small or large communities.
Virginia Commonwealth University
If you are interested in achieving a Clinical Social Work degree through an online setting, Virginia Commonwealth University may have exactly what you are looking for. This university offers students the option of pursuing their degree at a part-time rate, which is a great choice for students that are currently working full-time in the field of social work. The hybrid model of this degree program may also require that students attend meetings on campus 2 times each semester.
Recap of Virginia MSW Programs and Licensure
- MSW Programs: There are 6 MSW programs in Virginia, including two online MSW programs.
- CSWE Accredited MSW Programs: All 6 Virginia MSW programs are accredited by the CSWE. View our list of Online CSWE Accredited MSW programs.
- Social Work Licensure: Licensure is administered by The Virginia Board of Social Work.
List of MSW Programs in Virginia
University of Denver
University of Southern California
University of Kentucky
Our Lady of the Lake University
CSWE Accredited Virginia MSW Programs
The CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) is the top accrediting board for MSW programs. Below you will find a list of CSWE accredited social work programs in Virginia.