Virginia MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
As a resident of the state of Virginia, you may be interested in learning more about the educational opportunities available to you as an upcoming social workers.
Our team of educational experts has reviewed accredited online MSW programs in this state and has determined that there are currently 6 CSWE accredited MSW programs in Virginia open to learners.
Through an MSW program, students can gain the skills necessary for becoming helpful professionals in the social domain, health care and even education. Online MSW programs can provide the same reliability and usefulness as traditional programs found throughout the state Virginia (although they may have their campus location in another place).
If You Do Not Yet Have a Bachelors: View BSW programs in Virginia(includes online).
Where to Find a MSW Program in Virginia
Popular cities for online and accredited MSW programs in Virginia are Richmond and Radford. Within these amazing cities, students can engage in high-quality educational programs that can set them on track for achieving success in the field of social work.
Through universities such as Radford University and Virginia Commonwealth University, students can take part in courses that instruct students on how to work with families from low income area, those that have experienced financial hardship or even work with individuals on various social needs. These universities may also provide a high focus on social policy as it relates to the position, so that students can gain more insight into how social programs are created and funded.
Keep this in mind for social work licensure
Each state may have its own licensing agency for professionals interested in becoming licensed in their field. Through these agencies, students may be required to apply for and meet the recommendations of their state, which can result in obtaining a license to work with the public on social issues.
In the state of Virginia, students should review the requirements set forth by the Virginia Board of Social Work prior to enrolling in any program that offers social work degrees. This can help students ensure that they are choosing the right type of degree program for the career they desire.
Virginia Social Work Licensure Requirements
- Graduate with a MSW degree from a CSWE accredited MSW program
- Apply for Supervision Approval (note that in Virginia, your supervisor must have an active LCSW in Virginia AND a minimum of 2 years of post-licensure clinical social work experience)
- Gain post-MSW degree supervised experience in a clinical social work delivery setting
- Apply for LCSW Licensure by Examination
- Pass the ASWB Clinical level examination
Virginia Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
The rate of pay and target client for Social Workers in Virginia can be very different depending on which type of career you choose. Check out some of the most popular career options and their salaries in the guide below.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $49,860 median salary per year. Social Work professionals in Child and Family Social Work can be integral to family healing and reunification. School Social Workers can provide on-site guidance to children in school systems, as well as work as an advocate for students during individual education programs.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $59,580 median salary per year. Healthcare Social Workers can be assigned to clients in the Healthcare system that are unable to make their own decisions about treatment and follow-up care. Learning patient background, preferences, and demographics can help you make the best decisions for your clients in the field.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $48,350 median salary per year. Social Workers in the Mental Health field can partner with therapists to ensure that clients adjust their way of life to accommodate improvements in Mental Health. Substance Abuse Social Workers can also assist clients with developing environmental plans to help support their recovery.
- Social Workers, All Other: $75,800 median salary per year. More people in Virginia may be choosing alternative Social Work career options such as Licensed Clinical Social Workers as a way to provide even more care to their clients. Clinical Social Workers can independently provide counseling services to their clients through private practice or counseling agencies.
Social Worker Salaries in Virginia’s Metropolitan Areas
- Richmond: $78,020 median salary per year
- Roanoke: $77,480 median salary per year
- Virginia Beach: $75,770 median salary per year
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Child, Family, and School Social Workers; Healthcare Social Workers; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers; Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.
Virginia Social Work Licensure
The Virginia Board of Social Work is the licensing agency for social work professionals in this state. There are different licensing options for individuals at the bachelor's and master's level.
Master's graduates can pursue licensing as Licensed Social Workers (LSWs), which requires an accredited MSW degree and completion of the ASWB exam. Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) licensees must also complete 3,000 hours of supervised clinical experience in addition to testing in order to qualify for their professional license at this level.
Online MSW Programs in Virginia
There are multiple options for universities that have a campus location and an online MSW program in Virginia.
Radford University currently provides 1 of the 2 online and accredited MSW programs in the state of Virginia. This program is offered to current students in a part-time format, which can be completed in around 2-3 years. Some students may be required to attend class on campus some Saturdays, which can allow students to become more familiar with social concepts needed to excel in the field. This online MSW program may allow students to specialize in Community-based Family Practice, which is a great choice for students interested in improving small or large communities.
Virginia Commonwealth University
If you are interested in achieving a Clinical Social Work degree through an online setting, Virginia Commonwealth University may have exactly what you are looking for. This university offers students the option of pursuing their degree at a part-time rate, which is a great choice for students that are currently working full-time in the field of social work. The hybrid model of this degree program may also require that students attend meetings on campus 2 times each semester.