Consider a Featured Accredited Online Social Work Program
As you search for the right fit in social work degree programs, you may need to consider the differences between each program prior to making your final decision.
The Master's in Social Work programs available all over the U.S. may have very different applications, responsibilities and target populations for you to consider, as well as work settings. Your desires as a social work professional, your skills and the people you wish to influence should all play a role in your degree choice.
The degree programs that will be reviewed in this guide are those related to Micro Social Work. This program area can be exceptionally helpful to upcoming social workers that are considering degree programs that can place them in settings in which individual direction and counseling may be necessary.
Types of Micro Social Work Degrees
Micro Social Work degree programs can hold many different titles. Typically, degree programs that fall into this category are those that are focused around individual and group care, or services that are designed for families. Micro Social Work professionals may be more interested in solving social issues that can affect people on a personal level, rather than implementing change that influences larger communities or the nation as a whole. Take a look at some of the micro-level MSW programs that you can choose from in this discipline.
- MSW - Child and Family Social Work
- MSW - Healthcare Social Work
- MSW - Substance Abuse Social Work
Consider a Featured Online Social Work Program
|School / Program||Online Program / Entry Reqs||Advanced Standing Availability / Course Information|
|University of Kentucky||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. MSW program includes options for an advanced-standing program (30 credits) and a 60-credit regular standing program.Learn More
|University of Denver||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing Program available. Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.Learn More
|University of Southern California||✔ Online|
Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.).Learn More
|Fordham University||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. Advanced standing and traditional MSW options. Four areas of focus: Individuals and Families, Organizations and Community, Evaluation, and Policy Practice and Advocacy.Learn More
|Baylor University||✔ Online|
No GRE Scores Required
Advanced Standing Program available. 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.Learn More
|Case Western Reserve University||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing available. Earn your online master’s in social work from Case Western Reserve University, a top-ranked school of social work. No GRE required.Learn More
While these degree programs can be great representations of what this type of degree program consists of, they definitely are not the only options for upcoming professionals in this field. Students can choose from many different degree programs that seek to educate students about the many different techniques for fostering positive interactions between people and their environment. If you are interested in making a difference in the lives of others - one person at a time, these types of degree programs could be the best option for you.
Courses to Expect in a Micro Social Work MSW Program
When you have enrolled in a Micro Social Work degree program, you may take classes that are related to the population you have chosen to work with. Courses may touch on topics related to the development of social welfare systems, laws pertaining to the reunification of families affected by abuse or trauma and even communication techniques that can be beneficial when working in a social work career.
Each degree program can provide students with a list of courses that may be included within the degree program prior to enrollment. Taking the time to read over these courses can help you learn more about what type of information is shared in these programs before taking your first course.
Over time, MSW programs in Micro Social Work concentrations have changed. With the influence of technology, more and more people may have the opportunity to finish this degree program through the use of online degree programs. These online programs will be discussed in depth in the next section, so be sure to review the benefits of choosing online education before deciding which school you would like to attend for your degree.
Online Micro Master of Social Work Programs
Online degree programs are one of the most interesting aspects of the digital age. The internet and technology have changed the way that people view their college education by adding in flexible options for students to choose from when they are ready to enroll. These programs are similar to traditional programs in that they provide accreditation-reviewed courses, supportive instructors and the same elements found in traditional learning environments. The only true difference between online and traditional degree programs is that you do not have to be present in a classroom in order to receive the information.
Degree programs in Micro Social Work can also be found in the online setting. A lot of upcoming social work professionals may choose online degree programs in order to continue working full-time jobs and spending time with their families. Most online degree programs can provide students with flexible due dates, the option to log in and complete assignments at any time of day and opportunities for self-direction and motivation. These types of programs may be growing in popularity, since so many students are intrigued with how much time and money can be saved by choosing to pursue their degree online.
Aurora University has multiple online social work programs. Choose from an online BSW or online MSW program which is CSWE accredited and has multiple tracks in faith-based social work, forensics, health care, or leadership.
Click for admissions information.
The online MSW at the University of Kentucky is taught by faculty who are dedicated to your success and who provide diverse expertise across multiple areas of social work. Regular and Advanced Standing MSW tracks are available. Each program prepares students for effective advanced practice across the micro-macro continuum with diverse populations. CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information.
Lead change at the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.). CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information at MSW.USC.edu.
Online Social Work Programs
In terms of availability, online Micro Social Work degree programs may be found at colleges all over the country. Our team of educational experts was able to review a large number of colleges offering these degree programs online. There are many different colleges all over the country that offer multiple start dates per year, which can be great for learners that are ready to get started. Take a look at some of the top schools for Micro Social Work degree programs below.
Micro Social Work MSW Programs
- Arizona State University: Students that are intrigued by micro social work positions may choose to enroll in online MSW programs such as the one at Arizona State University. This 60 credit hour program can provide students with knowledge relevant to working within individuals in the public and can allow students to quickly advance through their program. This school provides courses that are 7.5 weeks in length, which can be a great option for students interested in completing their program quickly.
- Winthrop University: If you are interested in pursuing a college that offers several routes to micro social work career, Winthrop University could be a great choice for you. This school offers standard and advanced standing programs for students that qualify. The standard online MSW program at this university can be completed in around 3 years, while the advanced standing program takes about 2 years to complete. These CSWE accredited degree programs can be an excellent resource for students that wish to work with individuals clients in the field.
- The University of Denver: The online MSW programs at this college are focused on providing social justice to individuals within communities all over the U.S. Students at this school can choose from specializations such as Mental Health and Trauma to help shape their knowledge in social work into objects of success. Those enrolled in this program can potentially complete their degree in as little as 18 months, which also makes this program a great option for students interested in quick entry into the field of micro social work.
Typical Micro Social Work Coursework to Expect
The inner workings of your degree program can act as a catalyst to your success. In order to truly learn what you need to know from your degree program, you should choose a program that consists of coursework that is relevant to the field you plan to work in. If you decide to choose a specialization to go alongside your degree program, you might find that the courses within the program can change to accommodate this information. In general, most Micro Social Work degree programs may consists of some similar courses that remain unchanged by choosing a specialization.
The courses below were taken by our research team from actual online MSW programs. Each of these courses can help to extend your knowledge of the field in different ways. These general courses can provide supportive information and evidence to specialization courses that seek to teach you the different techniques and principles present within your field of study. Policies, technology and practical information can be helpful to students regardless of their chosen specialty. If you want to make the right decision about your degree program, you should always be sure to review the curriculum of your program and its accreditation prior to submitting an application.
- Micro Social Work Practice: Students that are interested in pursuing careers in micro social work should be introduced to skills that are relevant to working with individual clients in the field. This course can help students learn more about the goals and proposed outcomes of social work professionals within this field, including social advocacy, client interventions and introduction to public services. As part of the greater program, this course can help students become more accustomed to focusing on the individual rather than the organization or policies that are in place for society as a whole.
- Social Policy in Human Services: Since a large majority of micro social workers are employed by human service agencies, students in this degree program can potentially benefit from learning more about the policies that drive this field. In this course, students can investigate the historical foundations of social policy, take a look at how these policies change with the times and implement policy-driven research throughout their experience. This course can be a helpful resource for students planning to work in the human services field.
- Technology in Advanced Social Work Practice: On top of all of the social change that can take place over time, technology has also made a difference in the delivery of social work all over the country. Students enrolled in this course may learn about the various types of programs, including those found online, that are beneficial to the field of social work. Using computer systems and data software may also be part of what students can learn how to do in this course.
An Overview of Micro Social Work
Professionals that thrive on the success of other people may be a great fit for this sector of social work. Course work found in Micro Social Work degree programs can focus on the need for effective and caring communication techniques, methods for addressing individual needs through social service agencies and even clinical practice skills for those seeking careers as Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW). There are currently many different specialization options to choose from that can keep you working in micro positions within your community.
In comparison to mezzo and macro social work positions, micro social workers may be more focused on addressing a variety of needs for their clients. Others in more widespread or larger areas of social work may focus their tasks on changing policies, creating social welfare programs or implementing changes in communities that can affect more than just a few people. These are the differences that can set each one apart from the other.
What Types of Jobs or Careers with a Micro Social Work Degree?
The type of degree you choose to pursue can often influence the type of career you can obtain after graduation. In the field of Micro Social Work, many students complete their degree programs in hopes that they can truly reach and inspire the people around them. Positions to pursue in this line of social work may include those that work with individuals or small groups in the field, helping them to gain access to resources or find solutions that can increase their overall quality of life.
Our team of educational experts has been researching educational programs for over a decade. Throughout their research, they have found many different degree programs and career options for social work professionals to pursue. Below this section, our team has listed a few of the more popular Micro Social Work positions that are currently available in the field. Each of these career options can be obtained through enrolling in and completing a relevant Micro Social Work degree program at an accredited university, gaining the necessary field experience and hours and receiving licensure.
- Child and Family Social Worker
- School Social Worker
- Medical Social Worker
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Worker
Common Settings for Micro Social Work Careers
Since Micro Social Work degree programs were designed to promote successful social workers at the individual level, you might be curious about what types of settings you can work in with these degrees. Micro Social Workers may be the most commonly found type of social worker in the field. Since their influence in society can be so positive for the growth and adaption of the people within, they may be needed in several different specialty areas.
The settings below are currently holding some of the largest numbers of Micro Social Workers in the U.S. Within each setting, social workers may work with clients to assess their needs, identify their strengths and put them into contact with services that can change their lives. If you are interested in working in any of the settings below, these degree programs could be great additions to your resume.
- Social Services: Since micro social work professionals can often be found working with individuals and small groups in the field, it may be no surprise that they are most commonly found in settings such as social services. Within this field, social workers may advocate for children that have experienced abuse or neglect, work hard to help families find resources and services that can improve their quality of life and even assist people that are involved with the criminal justice system. Social services can be a great place to pursue a career as a social worker, since the goal of this field is to help others that are in need.
- Mental Health Facilities: Social workers may also flock to fields such as mental health when seeking out careers that can positively influence their clients. Mental health care centers and psychiatric facilities may employ social work professionals to assist with service planning for the residents and patients found within. These professionals may review their clients’ files to ensure that they are receiving the right type of care and support, as well as advocate for them when needed. Patients that have extremely serious mental illness or disorders may require social workers to assist them with making regular life-related decisions with money or even education.
- Schools: The field of education can be an influential field for social workers to be involved with. In this area, social workers can work individually with students with varying needs, such as educational advocacy, support for personal issues or additional services that can make education more convenient. Professionals in this career field may also work to ensure that schools are meeting the needs of the students by reviewing and implementing relevant policies.