Consider a Featured CSWE Accredited Online MSW Program
What is Family Social Work Practice?
Degree programs that can provide students with higher education in the field of social work can be found in many shapes and sizes. Since working with the public can present a variety of potential working conditions, target populations, and social issues, students interested in working within this career field may be able to benefit from choosing a degree specialization that suits their interests as professionals. Some of the most popular degree paths in the field of social work may be concerned with assisting people of all ages as they navigate through the natural challenges of everyday life.
Our team of educational experts has been researching college degree programs for over a decade. Their dedication to providing you with more information about you degree program can benefit you along the way. In an effort to help upcoming college students with finding degree programs that match their needs, our team has established this guide with detailed and researched information about Family Social Work Practice. As you make your way through this guide, you should consider online degree programs and what they can provide for you in terms of greater knowledge in the field of social work and further career success after graduation.
Consider a Featured Online Social Work Program
|School / Program||Online Program / Entry Reqs||Advanced Standing Availability / Course Information|
|University of Denver||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing Program available. Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.Learn More
|Fordham University||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. Advanced standing and traditional MSW options. Four areas of focus: Individuals and Families, Organizations and Community, Evaluation, and Policy Practice and Advocacy.Learn More
|University of Southern California||✔ Online|
Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.).Learn More
|University of Kentucky||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. MSW program includes options for an advanced-standing program (30 credits) and a 60-credit regular standing program.Learn More
|Baylor University||✔ Online|
No GRE Scores Required
Advanced Standing Program available. 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.Learn More
|Case Western Reserve University||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing available. Earn your online master’s in social work from Case Western Reserve University, a top-ranked school of social work. No GRE required.Learn More
Online Family Social Work Practice Programs
The need for better convenience and attainability with college degree program may be a growing force within the United States. Many students just like you may be searching for program options that can allow them to attend college while still taking part in full-time employment and free time at home with family. Technology has played a very important role in making this type of demand realistic for society, since the internet can connect students with instructors and institutions from the comforts of their very own home.
Students that have an interest in online educational programs can use the internet and its resources to locate available colleges containing programs focusing on Family Social Work Practice. Our team of experts has reviewed some of the currently available online programs within this discipline and has found several incredible options for interested future learners. Online degree programs that consist of 100% online course work can be found all over the country, as well as some programs that contain hybrid elements to their curriculum. Depending on what interests you the most, you may find some options that work better for you than others.
Of the available online programs currently open to students, the most preferred options may be those that have gained the necessary accreditation from the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). This organization helps universities promote their reliability and relevance in the field of social work education, as well as works as a supportive resource for students interested in enrolling in degree programs that can lead to licensure in the future.
Fordham's top-ranked Graduate School of Social Service offers a future-focused online MSW program, preparing students for integrated practice with all populations. Bachelor's degree required. CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information.
Lead change at the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.). CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information at MSW.USC.edu.
With a MSW from George Mason University, you can focus on social justice and mirrored after the on-ground CSWE accredited program, you can graduate with an understanding of how to advance equity and human rights in any community. As you learn, take advantage of Mason's established community connections and explore rich fieldwork opportunities for hands-on learning. CSWE Accredited.
Check out a few universities with CSWE-accredited degree programs below.
- Case Western Reserve University: Online Full-Time, Part-Time, and Advanced Standing Options
- Union Institute and University: Online Full-Time and Part-Time Options
- Northern Arizona University: Online Full-Time and Part-Time Options
Online degree programs in Family Social Work Practice may be found under different pseudonyms depending on which university you choose to pursue. This may be most common at the master’s level, since most students begin focusing on specific areas of practice at this degree level. Practitioners in social work may choose to work with families within the field of social work, since it can be such a diverse work environment in areas all over the country. Within this specialty field, there are numerous degree options that can be considered relevant to upcoming students.
Areas of Family Social Work Practice
In the list below, you can see 3 of the top programs in Family Social Work Practice. As you search for a degree program to enroll in, you should choose a concentration option that fits closely to your values as a professional. Online social work degree programs that focus primarily on children may focus its curriculum on state and federal services for children, communication and relationships with children within the social welfare system, and legal processes relating to the custody and guardianship of children. If you were to choose a broader option such as Family Support for your degree program, you might take online courses that are geared more towards reunification steps, public support services for families, and the U.S. Welfare System.
- Child and Family Social Work
- Child Welfare
- Family Support
Bachelor’s Degrees in Family Social Work Practice
If you might be intrigued by pursuing educational degrees in Family Social Work Practice, your first step should be to complete a Bachelors in Social Work program. These programs can be found in large numbers online, with some containing specializations within their curriculum and others offering generalized study programs. Online Bachelors in Social Work programs can help students learn more about providing services to diverse populations, ethical practice concerning work with vulnerable populations, and methods for assessing the needs of clients in different social work positions.
One of the most important aspects of online Bachelors in Social Work programs is the accreditation of each. The CSWE accredits both bachelors and masters programs within this degree area, making this agency a great resource for locating accredited degree programs near you. Our team of experts has located some online and accredited Bachelors in Social Work programs and listed a few examples below for your information.
- Western New Mexico University: Online Bachelors in Social Work – Online Full-Time and Part-Time Options Available.
- Bemidji State University: Online Bachelors in Social Work – Online Part-Time Option Available.
Master of Family Social Work Practice
Masters-level may often be the point in a student’s education where an expertise is formed. When reviewing online Masters programs in Family Social Work Practice, you may find that there are different types of specializations that are related to working with families in the field. Since there are so many diverse services that can be provided to families through social services and departments, you may be free to choose from a wide variety of majors at this level.
During a masters program, students can look closer at family dynamics, legal systems, and services and supports available to people throughout their communities. This degree program can also contain some managerial aspects to help shape leaders into knowledgeable and fair professionals. If you might be interested in working on your masters degree, check out some of the CSWE-accredited masters programs listed below.
- Case Western Reserve University: Online Masters in Social Work – Direct Practice (Child, Youths, & Families or Mental Health/Adults)
- California State University – Long Beach: Online Masters in Social Work – Children, Youth, and Families
- Boise State University: Online Masters in Social Work – Individuals and Families
Typical Master’s Coursework to Expect
- Children and Family Social Work Practice: People enrolled in this course can begin with a look into counseling techniques that can be used with children and groups. These skills may include those that focus on effective communication, the application of interventions, and relationship building among family members. This course may also explore some of the common behavioral, educational, and multicultural ideals that may be found when working with children and families from various backgrounds, religions, and socioeconomic statuses.
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment: The purpose of this course is to relate the development of mental health and behavior with the context of a family’s environment. In this course, students can explore different ways that people can learn to interact with their environments, triggers in one’s environment that can support or restrict certain behaviors, and resources within a community that could be effective in helping people lead happy and healthy lives. Students that work hard to understand environmental influence may be able to use these skills to increase success within their client base.
- Social Work Practice with Couples and Family Systems: Upcoming social work professionals may also be able to benefit from learning more about relationship dynamics, family structure, and the strength of families in large numbers. Skills within this area can assist social work professionals with identifying areas within a marriage, partnership, or family system that can be used as a strength during the change process. Counseling techniques for use with couples or families may also be a large part of the work in this course.
Working in Family Social Work Practice
Family Social Work Practice is a specialized field within social work that may require professionals to work closely with people of all ages. People that may have an interest in working in this field should have a desire to help others through difficult times in their lives, the ability to help others without judgment, and knowledge of social services and organizations within their area. Family Social Work Practice as a career field may also require upcoming professionals to have knowledge relevant to providing specific services to the people they serve. Some of the common job responsibilities of Family Social Work Practice professionals are listed below this paragraph for you to review.
- Working with vulnerable populations
- Conducting assessments on needs or abilities
- Referrals to community resources
- Oversee treatment progress
- Case file management
- Supervise client progress
Types of Family Social Work Practice Jobs and Careers
Before you take the leap into an online degree program in Family Social Work Practice, you should consider what types of careers that this degree program can provide for you. There are many different specialized areas that could be ideal for professionals with this degree, but the majority of careers may be found in Child and Family Services. Depending on the state you live in, the job titles and responsibilities associated with each position may differ. Our team has reviewed some of the most popular career choices for professionals with this degree in order to give you a little bit of an outline on what each career can mean for you. As you read through each description, consider whether or not these positions could be a great fit for you.
- Child Welfare Case Manager/Team Leader: There are thousands of children currently in the custody of states all over the country. Foster care agencies teaming with state departments may be responsible for ensuring that children receive the proper care and support they deserve while in foster homes, as well as during their transitions back to their birth homes. Professionals in this field may work closely with children, foster parents, and their families in referring children to needed services, providing supervision during their time in custody, and follow-up services after being returned home.
- Child Advocate: Child advocacy specialists may work for therapeutic agencies geared towards protecting children from neglect and abuse. Advocates within this line of work can work with children to prepare them for court appearances, conduct interviews on those that may have experiences severe physical or sexual abuse, or even stand alongside children as they face their abusers in a court setting. These professionals may receive extensive training in communication and interviewing techniques that were developed specifically for children.
- Abuse Prevention Specialist/Trauma Interventionist: Social workers that specialize in Family Social Work Practice can work as interventionists within a family’s home. These professionals may step in when reports of potential neglect or abuse have been noted. These social work professionals may work with families to develop safety plans, crisis prevention plans, or even arrange supportive services that can help change a family’s environment to one that does not support or maintain abuse. Professionals in this type of profession may also work with families that are being reunified, helping them to learn new skills that can help with parenting and homemaking abilities.