Advanced Generalist Bachelor’s Degrees
New entrants into the collegiate environment may look towards advanced generalist social work programs as a way to fulfill their desire to help others. Online BSW programs are available. An interesting fact about the field of social work is that graduates at the bachelors level can become licensed as Bachelor’s Level Social Workers (LBSW).
This can be a way for new graduates to begin gaining experience within their field before pursuing higher level degree programs and licensure within their field. Online bachelors programs in this field may consist of classes that cover the general education requirements for all programs as well as an introduction and follow-up course work in social work-specific topics. Take a look at some of the programs currently accepting applicants at the bachelors level.
Several universities with an online BSW
- Eastern Kentucky University – Online Bachelor of Social Work: EKU’s online Bachelor of Social Work degree program can be an excellent first stop for upcoming social work professionals. This program requires no campus visits and has courses that last 8 weeks each. Like most bachelors programs, students can expect to spend between 3-4 years completing their program at a full-time rate. This degree program can lead to licensure after a required supervised experience and completion of the bachelor’s level social work examination.
- Western New Mexico University – Online Bachelor of Social Work: The online BSW program through WNMU seeks to prepare learners for careers in some of the top hiring fields in the country. Healthcare, business, social services, and education are just a few of the fields that are highlighted for graduates of this accredited degree program. The estimated completion time for students in this program is 4 years, which is right on track for average bachelors degree programs online and on-campus.
Advanced Generalist Master’s Degrees
Once you have worked hard and completed your bachelors degree, you can search for advanced options to help you qualify for better paying positions in the field. A large number of leaders in the field of social work hold a minimum of a master’s degree, making this a degree level for you to pursue for the best type of positions in the field.
At the masters level, students can begin seeking specializations with their degree program to help customize their future. Advanced generalist learners can gain expertise that is relevant to all fields of social work, making it a great option for students that are interested in diverse work experiences in the field. There are quite a few options for an online msw program.
Within masters programs in the online setting, students can dive deeper into the aspect of micro social work – which concerns services to individuals and families, macro social work – which views social work from a broader perspective, and mezzo social work – which blends aspects of both micro and macro social work into its curriculum.
Several universities with an online MSW
- The University of Southern California – Online Master of Social Work: USC currently offers students different types of paths to their MSW depending on what type of bachelors degree they achieved during their undergraduate program. BSW earners can fast-track their education through advanced standing MSW programs that can be completed in as little as 1 year. Traditional path learners can work towards their MSW online through fast-paced programs that can be completed in 2 years or less. The traditional program is open to graduates from related bachelors degree programs and BSW programs alike.
- Arizona State University – Online Master of Social Work: Arizona State University’s online MSW with Advanced Generalist specialization was designed specifically for upcoming social work professionals interested in influencing a wide range of social entities throughout their career. This program can be a great choice for students with the desire to implement their skills and expertise on an individual level, while still considering improvements for the field of social work overall. Most students in this program can complete it within 2 years online.
Common Advanced Generalist MSW Course Work
The advanced generalist social work program at the master’s level can contain various aspects of the social work experience that may be required in positions in the professional field. Since a lot of these topics consider different levels of service and responsibility, students should be prepared to engage in multiple stages of learning during their degree experience.
In order to give you the best outlook on what to expect while enrolled in the online Masters in Advanced Generalist Social Work, our team of educational experts has pulled together some information from common classes in this program. Take a look at the courses below to get a general idea of what to expect during your learning experience.
- Advanced Generalist Social Work Practice: This course contains many elements that can help to increase your efficiency as a social work professional in general practice. Some of the topics that might be covered during this course includes those focusing on human rights, the evaluation of need, adherence to policy, and social justice. The purpose of this course is to educate well-rounded social work professionals for a wide range of potential career opportunities in human services.
- Social Welfare History and Practice: In order to comprehend the changing social welfare system, students should have the opportunity to explore how it has changed from its implementation. Students enrolled in this course can learn more about how the social welfare system was created, its initial flaws and shortcomings, and the many ways in which it has changed since its development. The translation of policy to practice may also be a large portion of this course, so that students can effectively apply their skills and knowledge in a professional setting after graduation.
- Social Policy and Planning: This course was designed in an effort to educate social work students on their future role in the social environment. Students can look at the methods and government-involvement in social policy, as well as steps to take to enact new programs within their field of choice. This course can also provide students with the opportunity to practice their skills through mock scenarios, so that they can effectively implement program plans while employed in the field of social work.
Common Career Options for the Advanced Generalist MSW Graduate
One of the most interesting tidbits of knowledge about the advanced generalist program is that it can lead you into many different facets of the social environment during your career. Some graduates may choose to pursue careers in social services after receiving their license, which could put them in touch with children and their families, the aging population, or even people with disabilities. Others may choose specialty fields such as healthcare or education, which can result in partnering with people to receive the services that they need.
The ultimate goal of the social work program is to prepare you for advocating, supporting, and leading your clients through difficult milestones within their lifetime. Take a look below at a few of the potential careers available with this degree and their respective salaries.