West Virginia MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
Students considering higher paying positions in the field of social work may question the benefit of progressing into a masters-level program. The truth is - with more and more people having the ability to complete bachelors programs in the U.S., students may need to pursue a masters in order to stand out from the large crowd of potential job applicants. West Virginia can be an exciting place to pursue a MSW program to help advance your career.
There are 3 MSW programs available for you to review in this state in popular cities such as Bethany, Morgantown, and Athens.
If You Do Not Yet Have a Bachelors: View BSW programs in West Virginia(includes online).
Social Work Agencies and Accreditation in West Virginia
If you are curious about which colleges can offer you this opportunity, you should take a closer look at schools such as Bethany College, Concord University, and West Virginia University. Each of these colleges consist of MSW programs that can partner with you to meet the licensing standard put into place by the West Virginia Board Of Social Work Examiners.
Each program is accredited by the CSWE, making them excellent choices for students that are seeking reliable and license-worthy degree programs.
West Virginia Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Social Workers can be incredibly influential professionals for individuals and families in need. If you live in West Virginia and are seeking a career in this field, read more about each specialty career option below.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $37,200 median salary per year. Child, Family, and School Social Workers can attend client meetings, set up and transport clients to needed services, and even work with families as they learn new skills for family health. Positions in these areas can be found at the local and state level.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $49,520 median salary per year. Healthcare Social Workers can work in hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, and retirement homes. Their role can include reviewing client history and treatment to ensure proper services are provided, help clients with finding financial resources and insurance, and communicating medical procedures to families.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $38,430 median salary per year. In the Mental Health and Substance Abuse fields, Social Workers can be important parts of the overall treatment program. Social Workers can meet with clients in facilities, at home, and even at work to help answer questions regarding treatment and partner with clients to make necessary life changes for success.
- Social Workers, All Other: $73,260 median salary per year. Additional Social Work positions can be found that include patient or client advocacy, the provision of mental health services, and even leadership within the Social Work field.
Social Worker Salaries in West Virginia’s Metropolitan Areas
- Beckley: $64,650 median salary per year
- Wheeling: $59,360 median salary per year
- Huntington: $77,480 median salary per year
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Child, Family, and School Social Workers; Healthcare Social Workers; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers; Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.
West Virginia Social Work Licensure
The West Virginia Board of Social Work provides licensing options for graduates of both BSW and MSW degree programs.
MSW graduates can pursue the Licensed Graduate Social Worker (LGSW) option through application to the board and completion of the ASWB board examination for graduate learners.
The Licensed Certified Social Worker (LCSW) option is available for individuals interested in pursuing clinical positions after licensure. This option includes 3,000 hours of supervised clinical experience and board testing.
Online MSW Programs in West Virginia
There may be many different reasons for students to seek out flexible options for their college degree. Some students choose to pursue online MSW programs in an attempt to balance their daily work schedule with their desire to achieve more in their professional lives. If you are like many others in the state of West Virginia, you might be interested in learning how an online MSW can benefit you on your journey to better career opportunities.
Online MSW programs are subject to the same type of review and accreditation as traditional programs. Since a lot of these programs utilize the same instructors as traditional degree options, students can gain the same information regardless of which platform is used.
Consider a MSW Specialty Track
Online MSW programs can also allow students to choose specialization options with their general MSW degree. Specializations were added in an effort to help students focus their research on particular subjects or groups, so that they can make a bigger difference in society. Child, Youth, and Family Social work is one of the most popular concentration options for the MSW degree program.
However, students can choose from other options such as Clinical Social Work or School Social Work in their program. The online setting can be a great place for students to learn time management skills, self-discipline, and organizational skills that can benefit them throughout their career.