Consider a Featured CSWE Accredited Online MSW Program
West Virginia MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
Students considering higher paying positions in the field of social work may question the benefit of progressing into a masters-level program. The truth is - with more and more people having the ability to complete bachelors programs in the U.S., students may need to pursue a masters in order to stand out from the large crowd of potential job applicants. West Virginia can be an exciting place to pursue a MSW program to help advance your career.
There are 3 MSW programs available for you to review in this state in popular cities such as Bethany, Morgantown, and Athens.
Consider featured online MSW programs that are currently accepting applicants for their Master of Social Work degree.
Consider a Featured Online Social Work Program
|School / Program||Online Program / Entry Reqs||Advanced Standing Availability / Course Information|
|University of Denver||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing Program available. Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.Learn More
|Fordham University||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. Advanced standing and traditional MSW options. Four areas of focus: Individuals and Families, Organizations and Community, Evaluation, and Policy Practice and Advocacy.Learn More
|University of Southern California||✔ Online|
Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.).Learn More
|University of Kentucky||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. MSW program includes options for an advanced-standing program (30 credits) and a 60-credit regular standing program.Learn More
|Baylor University||✔ Online|
No GRE Scores Required
Advanced Standing Program available. 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.Learn More
|Case Western Reserve University||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing available. Earn your online master’s in social work from Case Western Reserve University, a top-ranked school of social work. No GRE required.Learn More
Social Work Agencies and Accreditation in West Virginia
If you are curious about which colleges can offer you this opportunity, you should take a closer look at schools such as Bethany College, Concord University, and West Virginia University. Each of these colleges consist of MSW programs that can partner with you to meet the licensing standard put into place by the West Virginia Board Of Social Work Examiners.
Each program is accredited by the CSWE, making them excellent choices for students that are seeking reliable and license-worthy degree programs.
Earn your Master of Social Work online from the University of Denver's top-20 school of social work. CSWE-accredited. MSW @ Denver offers two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.
Fordham's top-ranked Graduate School of Social Service offers a future-focused online MSW program, preparing students for integrated practice with all populations. Bachelor's degree required. CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information.
Lead change at the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.). CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information at MSW.USC.edu.
West Virginia Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Social Workers can be incredibly influential professionals for individuals and families in need. If you live in West Virginia and are seeking a career in this field, read more about each specialty career option below.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $34,560 median salary per year. Child, Family, and School Social Workers can attend client meetings, set up and transport clients to needed services, and even work with families as they learn new skills for family health. Positions in these areas can be found at the local and state level.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $49,650 median salary per year. Healthcare Social Workers can work in hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, and retirement homes. Their role can include reviewing client history and treatment to ensure proper services are provided, help clients with finding financial resources and insurance, and communicating medical procedures to families.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $33,190 median salary per year. In the Mental Health and Substance Abuse fields, Social Workers can be important parts of the overall treatment program. Social Workers can meet with clients in facilities, at home, and even at work to help answer questions regarding treatment and partner with clients to make necessary life changes for success.
- Social Workers, All Other: $73,450 median salary per year. Additional Social Work positions can be found that include patient or client advocacy, the provision of mental health services, and even leadership within the Social Work field.
Social Worker Salaries in West Virginia
- Beckley: $73,450 median salary per year
- Charleston: $34,770 median salary per year
- Huntington: $73,450 median salary per year
- Morgantown: #37,710 median salary per year
West Virginia Social Work Licensure
The West Virginia Board of Social Work provides licensing options for graduates of both BSW and MSW degree programs.
MSW graduates can pursue the Licensed Graduate Social Worker (LGSW) option through application to the board and completion of the ASWB board examination for graduate learners.
The Licensed Certified Social Worker (LCSW) option is available for individuals interested in pursuing clinical positions after licensure. This option includes 3,000 hours of supervised clinical experience and board testing.
Online MSW Programs in West Virginia
There may be many different reasons for students to seek out flexible options for their college degree. Some students choose to pursue online MSW programs in an attempt to balance their daily work schedule with their desire to achieve more in their professional lives. If you are like many others in the state of West Virginia, you might be interested in learning how an online MSW can benefit you on your journey to better career opportunities.
Online MSW programs are subject to the same type of review and accreditation as traditional programs. Since a lot of these programs utilize the same instructors as traditional degree options, students can gain the same information regardless of which platform is used.
Consider a MSW Specialty Track
Online MSW programs can also allow students to choose specialization options with their general MSW degree. Specializations were added in an effort to help students focus their research on particular subjects or groups, so that they can make a bigger difference in society. Child, Youth, and Family Social work is one of the most popular concentration options for the MSW degree program.
However, students can choose from other options such as Clinical Social Work or School Social Work in their program. The online setting can be a great place for students to learn time management skills, self-discipline, and organizational skills that can benefit them throughout their career.
Recap of West Virginia MSW Programs and Licensure
- MSW Programs: There are 3 MSW programs in West Virginia.
- CSWE Accredited MSW Programs: All 3 West Virginia MSW programs are accredited by the CSWE. View our list of Online CSWE Accredited MSW programs.
- Social Work Licensure: Licensure is administered by The West Virginia Board of Social Work.
List of MSW Programs in West Virginia
University of Denver
University of Southern California
University of Kentucky
Our Lady of the Lake University
CSWE Accredited West Virginia MSW Programs
The CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) is the top accrediting board for MSW programs. Below you will find a list of CSWE accredited social work programs in West Virginia.