South Carolina MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
There are some students that may find it advantageous to pursue degree programs offered by colleges within their own state. This can lower the strain on students that may have to attend campus 1 or 2 times throughout their program, as well as add a sense of loyalty to students interested in supporting their own local educational institutions.
Social Work prospects in the state of South Carolina can choose to indulge in MSW programs offered by universities within their area. South Carolina currently offers 2 MSW programs to learners throughout the state. Winthrop University is a leading provider of MSW degrees in South Carolina. This university, located in Rock Hill, has CSWE accreditation to accompany their convenient program.
If You Do Not Yet Have a Bachelors: View BSW programs in South Carolina(includes online).
Online MSW Programs in South Carolina
One of the most attractive features of MSW programs may be their online availability. Programs offered to students online can be excellent substitutes for traditional programs that can be trying on a person's scheduling or personal life.
Online MSW programs can appear identical to traditional MSW programs in their curriculum, delivery of information, and ease of access.
Residents of South Carolina may be seeking entrance into online MSW programs to both gain access to higher level positions in their current line of work as well as learn more about the intriguing field of social work. If you want to find online programs that can help you with obtaining your license after graduation, you should choose programs that contain CSWE-accreditation.
South Carolina Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
South Carolina residents interested in becoming licensed in the field of social work can choose from a variety of specialty fields to practice in. Read more in this guide to learn more about popular career fields, high paying cities, and licensing options in your state.
- Child, Family, and School Social Work: $43,740 median salary per year. Child, Family, and School Social Workers can work with children and their families to establish healthy habits, relationships, and school involvement. This can include regular meetings, home visits, and even the coordination of healthcare services.
- Healthcare Social Work: $60,040 median salary per year. Healthcare Social Workers can partner with health agencies and providers to ensure that clients receive all medical and environmental support required by their treatment program. Social Workers in this area may also work with client families on coping with newly found medical diagnoses.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Work: $41,500 median salary per year. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Social Workers can be incredibly important partners for individuals with serious mental health diagnoses and those fighting addiction. Support with finding employment, therapy, and community resources is part of the role of Social Workers in this area.
- Social Work, All Other: $77,480 median salary per year. Alternative Social Work positions in South Carolina include those focused on providing guidance to individuals in correctional facilities and on parole, those involved in the court system, and people needing clinical intervention from Licensed Clinical Social Workers.
Social Worker Salaries in South Carolina’s Metropolitan Areas
- Charleston: $73,260 median salary per year
- Columbia: $80,060 median salary per year
- Myrtle Beach: $81,890 median salary per year
- Greenville: $75,420 median salary per year
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Child, Family, and School Social Workers; Healthcare Social Workers; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers; Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.
South Carolina Social Work Licensure
The South Carolina Board of Social Work Examiners allows MSW holders to apply for licensing as Licensed Master Social Workers (LMSWs).
This is not a clinical licensing option, so it only requires a CSWE-accredited degree and completion of the ASWB licensing examination. The clinical licensing option in this state is the Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW) option, which requires around 2 years of clinical experience under the supervision of a LISW.
Advanced Standing MSW Programs in South Carolina
If you have a Bachelor of Social Work, you can find yourself eligible for full-time or advanced standing programs. Your bachelors experience can help determine whether or not you qualify for the advanced standing program, since this type of degree path was designed for current social worker licensed at the BSW level.
Many different MSW programs may provide specialized paths such as Individual and Family Practice, Clinical Social Work, or even Community Social Work for those people with a yearning to affect certain populations or fields.
South Carolina’s Board of Social Work Examiners
The agency responsible for overseeing new and current licensees in social work in South Carolina is the Board of Social Work Examiners. Connecting with this organization early on in your educational career can help you to ensure that you are meeting all of the requirements for future licensure in social work.
If you have the need to help others and the desire to hold yourself to a higher educational standard, online MSW programs could be the right answer for you.