Pennsylvania MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
The state of Pennsylvania is an excellent place to get started on the path to becoming a master's level social work professional. Throughout the state, there are numerous colleges offering MSW programs to willing participants.
There are multiple on-campus options for CSWE accredited MSW programs in Pennsylvania.
In addition to local online universities, you may also apply to out of state universities offering online MSW programs. You should research the requirements of your state prior to applying to an online university that is located out of your current state of residence.
Online MSW Programs
Online MSW programs are becoming more popular with busy college students. In Pennsylvania, there is no lack of availability for online degree programs for students that are looking for this type of educational convenience. One of the leading online universities throughout the state of Pennsylvania is Edinboro University.
Located in Edinboro, Pennsylvania, this university currently offers an online MSW degree program to interested students. This program in particular requires that students complete an online application and submit a $30 application fee. It is important for students to also send proof of graduation from an accredited university to the university along with the application, as well as a professional resume, personal statement, and 2 letters of recommendation.
One of the most prominent universities offering a MSW program is the University of Pennsylvania. In the great city of Philadelphia, the University of Pennsylvania hosts students in one of the oldest social work programs in the country. This high ranking program offers students both full-time and part-time options for pursuing their degree.
Across the state in the great city of Pittsburgh, students at the University of Pittsburgh are also given the option of pursuing a MSW degree throughout their college experience. This innovative program has been in session since 1918, and continues to be one of the leading MSW programs in the country. While Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are some of the leading cities for MSW degree programs, there are still plenty of programs to choose from at universities located between these 2 throughout the state.
Licensing Requirements for a LCSW in Pennsylvania
The state of Pennsylvania clearly outlines the expectations of Licensed Clinical Social Workers within their state. Through the State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Professional Counselors, our team was able to identify some of the requirements set forth for upcoming professionals.
Applicants for licensure must hold a Master's degree or higher in Social Work or Social Welfare from a university that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The applicant must also complete the state board examination for LCSW professionals and submit proof of 3,000 hours of supervised clinical experience under the supervision of a LCSW. Once these stipulations have been met, applicants can be approved for licensure as a clinical social worker in the state of Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Social workers in Pennsylvania can have a wide range of career responsibilities depending on their specialty area. You can find diverse social work positions that fit your expertise, work style, and targeted treatment area.
- Child, Family, and School Social Work: $40,830 median salary per year. If you choose to work in Child, Family, and School Social Work, you could be assigned a caseload of clients involved in the welfare system or in local school systems. Conducting assessments, developing helpful treatment programs, and providing follow-up services may be an important part of your career in this field.
- Healthcare Social Work: $52,630 median salary per year. Social Workers in Healthcare can find careers in hospitals or other healthcare clinics providing care to a wide range of clients. You may assist clients with understanding their treatment plans, finding in-home services, or even acquiring health insurance during your career.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Work: $36,930 median salary per year. Social Workers in Mental Health and Substance Abuse may check in with clients weekly to ensure good mental health and progress on social goals. These professionals can also assist with setting health appointments and advocating for clients in the court setting.
- Social Work, All Other: $65,910 median salary per year. If you are interested in moving further with your career, you could pursue licensing as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. LCSWs can work independently and provide therapy to clients depending on their needs.
Social Worker Salaries in Pennsylvania
- Allentown: $70,100 median salary per year
- Altoona: $73,450 median salary per year
- Bloomsburg: $39,060 median salary per year
- Philadelphia: $70,520 median salary per year
Pennsylvania Social Work Licensure
Graduates interested in pursuing licensing in this state can refer to the requirements set forth by The Pennsylvania State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors.
The Licensed Social Worker (LSW) distinction within this state requires that applicants have a master's degree, complete the ASWB examination for master's graduates, and submit an application with all required demographic information to the board for consideration. Clinical licensing options require around 2 years of supervision in addition to testing.
Social Work Careers in Pennsylvania
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $41,090 on average per year (BLS; 2016).
Social workers that work with children, families, and schools have the opportunity to be a guiding light for people in all stages of life. There are currently 18,580 professional social workers in this field in the state of Pennsylvania, making this a popular place for upcoming professionals to find a career (BLS; 2016).
- Healthcare Social Workers: $50,160 on average per year (BLS; 2016).
Healthcare social workers are more concerned with helping patients find the services they need for better health. In Pennsylvania, there are 7,280 healthcare social workers making a difference in the lives of others throughout the state (BLS; 2016). Healthcare social work can be a great way to get involved with the overall health of the community through advocacy and consultation services.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $37,600 on average per year (BLS; 2016).
People that are interested in mental health and rehabilitation could be a great addition to the field of social work as a mental health and substance abuse specialist. There are currently 10,170 social workers in this field throughout the state of Pennsylvania (BLS; 2016).
- Social Workers (general): $58,610 on average per year (BLS; 2016).
Since social workers can be found in nearly any field involving service to people, this category includes a lot of diverse career options in the field of social service. This field has the lowest current number of professionals in Pennsylvania and comes in at around 1,210 for the entire state (BLS; 2016).