Ohio MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
With nearly a dozen different CSWE accredited MSW programs in Ohio, there are a number of options to learn face-to-face on a campus. For those with a BSW from a CSWE-accredited program, there are numerous Advanced Standing MSW programs online and at campuses across Ohio - these can drastically shorten the length of the program.
You might consider an Online MSW program - there are multiple universities in Ohio that have online MSW programs that are CSWE accredited.
One of the most preferred methods for achieving this professional goal of working with society is through online MSW programs in the state of Ohio. There are multiple CSWE-accredited online MSW programs in Ohio, which are open to residents regardless of their home city (check with the admissions representative for details). There are a number of different on-campus MSW programs, as well as hybrid MSW programs at Ohio universities.
With its campus located in Cleveland, Ohio, Case Western Reserve University is one of the most popular universities for social work professionals. The online MSW or MSSA program available at this school can help students engage in independent learning that can further their skills in working with people in need.
If you are the type of person that can manage your schedule and learn on your own, online MSW programs may be the best option for you. Online MSW programs in the state of Ohio can set you on track for a profitable career in case work or leadership in social service agencies.
Note on Licensure
Depending on the state you live in, the process to becoming licensed as a social worker may vary. While knowing what your state requires for licensure is important, it is also important to stay up to date with any changes that may take place throughout your journey.
Before you take the plunge into a degree program, you should check with your state's licensing agency to ensure that your chosen school meets all of the requirements. Residents of Ohio should be familiar with the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board in order to maintain fresh on social work licensing requirements.
Online MSW Programs in Ohio
With the 100% online Master of Social Work at the University of Kentucky, you can earn a CSWE-accredited MSW that meets all the requirements for licensure in Ohio through a school that’s been preparing social workers for more than 80 years.
Choosing to pursue your degree online can mean more than just a convenient method for achieving your degree. Online degree programs can help students exercise their own abilities as independent learners and assist in providing a great quality of education to busy adults.
In the state of Ohio, students can engage in accredited online MSW programs in order to advance their career and make a difference in the lives of those around them.
Residents of the Buckeye State may recognize the need for qualified and well-educated social workers within their state. In Ohio, social workers can assist with finding housing resource for those that are homeless, helping families find monetary and health care support and even step in to ensure the safety of children in welfare-related situations.
Ohio Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
With a MSW degree, you can pursue a career in some intriguing and influential fields. As you can see in the list below, fields like child and family social work, substance abuse social work, and clinical social work are some of the most chosen careers paths in your state.
- Child, Family, and School Social Work: $47,740 median salary per year. Social Workers that work primarily with children and families may assist with developing plans for healthy family relationships, educational success, and positive mental health. Most professionals in this area work for social service agencies or within school systems.
- Healthcare Social Work: $60,470 median salary per year. In Healthcare, Social Workers can assess patient need, develop relevant health-related goals, and help clients obtain needed services. Follow-up services throughout the treatment process are also often provided by Healthcare Social Workers.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Work: $46,910 median salary per year. If you choose to pursue a career in Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Work, you can work directly with clients that have been diagnosed with common mental illnesses and receiving therapy. Substance Abuse Social Workers may also be assigned to individuals that are working through a rehabilitation program for drug, alcohol, or other addictions.
- Social Work, All Other: $57,390 median salary per year. Alternative Social Work opportunities can be found in various cities in Ohio. Clinical Social Workers are some of the most popular Social Workers in this area since they can provide one-on-one therapy to a caseload of clients.
Social Worker Salaries in Ohio’s Metropolitan Areas
- Akron: $48,100 median salary per year
- Columbus: $59,770 median salary per year
- Cincinnati: $59450 median salary per year
- Cleveland: $60250 median salary per year
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Child, Family, and School Social Workers; Healthcare Social Workers; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers; Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.
Ohio Social Work Licensure
The Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board offers different licensing options depending on your education and experience.
The Licensed Social Worker (LSW) option is available for BSW and MSW earners that have completed their licensing examination.
Licensed Independent Social Workers (LISWs) must additionally complete 3,000 hours of clinical supervised experience and the clinical examination prior to be awarded licensure.
Take a look at the most popular online MSW program at Case Western Reserve University below.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
- Case Western Reserve University: The CSWE-accredited online MSW program at Case Western Reserve University offers students full-time, part-time and advanced standing programs for upcoming students. Those that have experience in the field of social work can choose the advanced standing option to achieve their degree in a faster time frame. Specializations offered at this university may include: Community Practice and Social Change and Direct Practice.