Mississippi MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
The state of Mississippi is currently home to 4 MSW programs that can help you meet your goal. In this state, students often look to the Mississippi State Board of Examiners for Social Workers and Marriage & Family Therapists for licensing information for social workers, which can help guide them to the right degree programs.
The leading provider of MSW programs in Mississippi is the University of Southern Mississippi. Located in Hattiesburg, this university can be an excellent source for reliable and accredited MSW programs. This program can be great for students interested in full-time, part-time, or advanced standing programs.
Online MSW Programs in Mississippi
No matter how you plan to earn your degree, you should know that becoming a social worker can potentially be a fulfilling experience. Students that have achieved their MSW and become licensed can work with people in all age groups, those involved in difficult life circumstances, and people in need of experienced support.
Choosing online MSW programs could possibly relieve some of the strain associated with achieving a higher level degree, especially for those that are balancing more than 1 responsibility within their personal lives. Mississippi can be a great place to engage in online MSW programs that can provide focus in different areas of social work.
Specialty MSW Tracks
Some of the most popular degree specializations for MSW programs may include Healthcare, School Social Work, Children & Families, Group Social Work, and Military Social Work. If you have a strong attraction towards working with one particular group, you should research available specializations and the universities that they may be found.
Online MSW programs can contain the same level of CSWE accreditation as traditional programs, making them a great option for students with the desire to learn at their own pace.
Mississippi Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
In the state of Mississippi, you can pursue Social Work careers in some of the top paying metropolitan area. Some popular career options include those in child and family settings, as well as those in mental health. Take a look at the guide below to learn more about these specialized career areas.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $32,930 median salary per year. Child, Family, and School Social Workers may first step in to assist individuals through the administration of psychosocial and educational assessments. Data received through this process can lead to effective treatment programs for family success and better results in terms of a child's educational progress. Home visits, referral services, and team involvement are additional responsibilities that may be included within this field.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $50,200 median salary per year. Social Workers in Healthcare may be assigned to families that are coping with newly diagnosed serious medical issues. Providing support and guidance through the treatment process can be a key component within this role, as well as referring individuals and families to supportive services along the way. Translating policy to clients and assisting with the financial aspects of healthcare can also be part of your job in this field.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $39,140 median salary per year. Social Workers in Mental Health and Substance Abuse can work with clients diagnosed with serious mental illness or addictions. Coordinating therapeutic services, lifestyle support systems, and employment services for clients can be a big portion of this career field. In some cases, Social Workers may also work with client families to educate them on client needs and support programs.
- Social Workers, All Other: $47,820 median salary per year. Depending on the needs of your area, you may have the opportunity to engage in alternative Social Work positions in differing fields. Some examples of alternative options include those in corrections or probational support programs, crisis intervention, and even clinical rehabilitation. Social Work positions at the psychiatric level may also be available in some areas.
Social Worker Salaries in Mississippi’s Metropolitan Areas
- Gulfport, Biloxi, Pascagoula: $82,640 median salary per year
- Jackson: $49,840 median salary per year
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Child, Family, and School Social Workers; Healthcare Social Workers; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers; Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.
Mississippi Social Work Licensure
The Mississippi State Board of Examiners for Social Workers and Marriage & Family Therapists is the licensing agency for upcoming Social Work professionals in this state.
If you currently hold a CSWE-accredited Master of Social Work, you can pursue licensure as a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) in this state.
The board requires that you submit your application along with proof of your ASWB test scores for licensing consideration. The Licensed Certified Social Worker (LCSW) requires that you obtain 1,000 of supervision hours within 2 years under close supervision of a LCSW.
University of Southern Mississippi Online MSW
The generalist curriculum provided by this university can also assist students within learning more about how social work can be applied with different types of people in diverse settings. If you have a personality that drives you to work hard to help others, a MSW degree may be the best option for you to meet your full potential.<!- mfunc feat_school ->