Louisiana MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
One of the most preferred routes for becoming a social worker within Louisiana is through MSW degree programs. Universities within Louisiana currently have 5 MSW programs that can help you achieve this goal.
You can find these programs at Louisiana State University, Tulane University, Grambling University, and Southern University at New Orleans. Choosing a MSW program for your degree can be a great way to learn more about what it takes to work in the public domain, obtain licensure, and ultimately help the people around you.
If your plan in social work includes licensure, you should consider MSW programs with CSWE accreditation. These reliable programs are part of the licensure requirement set into motion by the Louisiana State Board of Social Work Examiners.
This agency may be your main point of contact when applying for and testing for your license in social work. Students seeking out reliable degree programs may have the most luck seeking out programs located in big cities such as New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Grambling.
Online MSW Programs in Louisiana
The next generation of college education may have already arrived in the state of Louisiana. Students preparing to enter into college degree programs now have more options for their course work than in years that have passed. Online degree programs may be one of the most preferred options for college students interested in creating their own flexible schedules.
Louisiana has answered the call for online MSW programs throughout the state, with 2 reliable programs currently available. Each of the 2 programs provided in this state contain accreditation through the CSWE and can assist students with meeting their goal of becoming licensed in their future.
Louisiana Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
If you hold a MSW degree and are interested in reviewing your career options, take a look at the guide below. Field variations, salaries, and major cities for Social Work professionals are provided in an effort to give you the most accurate information for your career search.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $49,230 median salary per year. Child, Family, and School Social Workers can provide regular support to children and families that have been identified as needing social supports. In this field you may participate in Child and Family Team Meetings, court hearings, or Individual Education Programs designed to provide needed care to children in the welfare system.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $49,610 median salary per year. Healthcare Social Workers can be the extra support needed by individuals diagnosed with serious healthcare-related illnesses. Assessing for therapy, medication management, or supportive services in the home are just a few key responsibilities of Social Workers in this field. You may also assist with setting appointments, finding services, and working with families as they cope with serious illness.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $39,340 median salary per year. If you pursue a career within mental health or substance abuse, you could work within counseling and addiction treatment centers. Coordinating appointments, connecting clients with community programs, and meeting with families could be part of your role in ensuring long-term success for your clients.
- Social Workers, All Other: $58,000 median salary per year. Some professionals in the field of Social Work move into leadership positions within public and non-profit organizations. Organizations that sponsor children in the welfare system, provide support to the homeless, or volunteer with the elderly may call on Social Workers to provide the highest level of care.
Social Worker Salaries in Louisiana
- Alexandria: $39,370 median salary per year
- Baton Rouge: $56,810 median salary per year
- Hammond: $53,270 median salary per year
- Houma-Thibodaux: $55,830 median salary per year
Louisiana Social Work Licensure
The Louisiana State Board of Social Work Examiners currently licenses bachelor's and master's level Social Workers.
The most popular option - the LMSW - requires that applicants complete their accredited MSW program and provide proof of completion to the board. The ASWB Master's examination must also be complete prior to receiving your approval for a license in this state.
Higher clinical licensing options may also be available to MSW graduates that complete around 5,000 supervised clinical hours.
More on MSW Programs in Louisiana
Colleges that you can choose for online MSW programs include Louisiana State University and Tulane University. LSU has full-time, part-time, and advanced standing options available to incoming students and requires no on campus visits for students enrolled.
Tulane University provides the same enrollment options for students, but can provide specialization options in Trauma-Informed and Human Rights Perspective. Your dedication to career success should begin with convenient degree options that can allow you to pursue full-time employment or social work experience during your program.
People may choose to pursue a career in social work for a wide variety of reasons. If you live in Louisiana, you may choose this field as a way to learn more about how you can influence the wellness of others around you.