Kentucky MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
With a population nearing 4.5 million, the state of Kentucky could likely benefit from a large number of incoming social work professionals.
If you choose to pursue a MSW to help find higher-level career options all over the state, you could be eligible for leadership positions in many different branches of social services.
Kentucky has quite a few open MSW programs that could be exactly what you are seeking. There are 7 MSW programs over the state that currently holds CSWE accreditation.
The online MSW at the University of Kentucky is taught by faculty who are dedicated to your success and who provide diverse expertise across multiple areas of social work. Regular and Advanced Standing MSW tracks are available. Each program prepares students for effective advanced practice across the micro-macro continuum with diverse populations. CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information.
Louisville, Lexington, and Campbellsville are some of the most well-known cities for social work students. If you live in the state of Kentucky, you should review MSW programs currently available through the University of Kentucky, Western Kentucky University, Campbellsville University, and Spalding University.
Online MSW Programs in Kentucky
Students that choose to pursue alternative paths for their degree may be pleased to see that Kentucky has a few different options to choose from.
There are multiple online MSW programs currently accepting students throughout this state.
Campbellsville University is a leading provider, with full-time, part-time, and advanced standing options available. This degree program could be a great option for students interested in the Advanced Generalist specialization option. Students may also choose universities such as the University of Louisville.
This school also has multiple formats to choose from and includes specializations such as Military Social Work, Alcohol and Drug Counseling, Gerontology, Mental Health Counseling, and Psychology Oncology.
Choosing any of these universities can be beneficial for students interested in pursuing a career in this incredible field.
Some students may also be interested in online programs such as the one offered at Western Kentucky University.
While it has similar enrollment options as the other 2 colleges offering online MSW degrees, this degree program could be great for people interested in Rural Advanced Generalist specializations. Depending on what you are seeking with your career, any of these online options could be a great choice for you.
Kentucky Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Pursuing the MSW in Kentucky can lead you into several different practice areas throughout your career. If you are interested in learning more about average salaries, popular cities, and common career responsibilities, read along in our guide below.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $40,310 median salary per year. MSW level Social Workers can work as direct support professionals for children and families in the social and educational setting. In some cases, MSW holders may also qualify to supervise case managers within this setting. This role can include reviewing treatment plans, training new employees, and providing supervision to 5-10 Social Workers in the field.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $58,750 median salary per year. Healthcare Social Workers can assess their clients for therapeutic, medical, or social needs as they progress through a medical treatment program. Social Workers in this area may also follow their patients after hospital discharge in an effort to ensure that they receive adequate post-medical care and supports within the home environment.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $38,530 median salary per year. Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers can help their clients meet treatment goals through regular home visits, development of social and emotional goals, and providing regular in-home support. Social Workers in this field can help to create a blanket of positive surrounding resources for clients that can contribute to long-term success.
- Social Workers, All Other: $46,640 median salary per year. There are many alternative Social Work positions that can include working primary in the court system, private practice, and even engaging in counseling services under supervision. Our team encourages you to explore alternative Social Work positions currently available in the state of Kentucky.
Social Worker Salaries in Kentucky’s Metropolitan Areas
- Lexington: $82,640 median salary per year
- Elizabethtown: $82,640 median salary per year
- Louisville: $46,840 median salary per year
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Child, Family, and School Social Workers; Healthcare Social Workers; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers; Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.
Kentucky Social Work Licensure
The Kentucky Board of Social Work requires that Social Work professionals hold a licensure to pursue certain positions in the field.
The most popular licensing option in Kentucky is the Certified Social Worker (CSW). This option requires candidates to graduate from a CSWE-accredited MSW program prior to application. The ASWB Masters examination must also be completed prior to licensing approval.
More on MSW Programs in Kentucky
The importance of accreditation can go beyond the standard quality of course work you can receive throughout your program. Degree programs that can result in licensure hold accreditation in order to help you become licensed depending on your state’s standards.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
If you are a resident of Kentucky, you should look towards the Kentucky Board of Social Work for steps to complete on your journey to licensure. This agency sets the standard for upcoming licensees in this state. Comparing your choice of degree program with what this agency requires can be a vital step along the way.<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->