Iowa MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
Universities in Iowa combine to provide 4 MSW programs for students to pursue. Several universities offer on-campus or satellite campus MSW programs.
There is also at least two online CSWE accredited MSW programs in Iowa at the University of Northern Iowa (Cedar Falls) and the University of Iowa in Iowa City.
People in Iowa may find that there can be many positive attributes associated with working in social work positions. This field can be vital to the success of members is society and help to improve the quality of living for residents from cities within.
While your choice of university can be difficult on its own, it may also be important to review what the state of Iowa requires in order to become licensed as a social work professional. The Iowa Board of Social Work is responsible for evaluating applicants for licensure and grants licenses to qualified applicants.
Online MSW Programs in Iowa
Online MSW programs in Iowa can be a great way for students to advance their career from their very own home. These programs can be help students with varying career goals and be helpful to a state that may be in need of experienced social work professionals.
Iowa can be a state for students to take advantage of online MSW programs that can help them move into this career field.
The University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa are 2 universities that offer CSWE-accredited online programs to students seeking career success.
Through each of these programs, students can enroll in either the part-time program - geared for busy adult learners - or the advanced standing program - for BSW graduates.
Each of these options can have advantages suitable for the people they were created for, as well as for upcoming students new to the social work field. Concentration options at these universities can include Integrated Macro Practice and Trauma-Informed Care.
Iowa Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Social Workers in Iowa can be influential supporters to children, families, and individual adults within their communities. Diverse positions focused on emotional and physical health may be popular options for you to pursue, or even those within specialized fields such as education or addictions.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $47,040 median salary per year. Your role within these positions can include conducting regular home visits, following-up on mental health or education services, and advocating for the rights of your clients in the educational and justice systems.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $59,550 median salary per year. Patients that are newly diagnosed with serious illnesses or those that are unable to cope with their diagnoses may require regular assistance from Healthcare Social Workers. Home visits, service provisions, and family support training are just a few of the many responsibilities of professionals working in this specialized area.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $48,560 median salary per year. Social Workers in mental health and substance abuse may meet with their clients 1-2 times per month, check-in on services and progress, and potentially refer clients out for additional services when needed. Most Social Workers follow an accumulative treatment plan to make decisions and gauge progress along the way.
- Social Workers, All Other: $64,650 median salary per year. Social Worker can find careers working with individuals in a wide variety of settings. Education, mental health, healthcare, family services, and elder care are just a few of the most popular settings. Social Workers can also be found in private practice, within counseling organizations, and even in non-profit agencies serving individuals and families.
Social Worker Salaries in Iowa’s Metropolitan Areas
- Davenport: $71,780 median salary per year
- Des Moines: $77,020 median salary per year
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Child, Family, and School Social Workers; Healthcare Social Workers; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers; Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.
Iowa Social Work Licensure
The Iowa Board of Social Work requires that Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) applicants to providing evidence of an accredited MSW program and successful passing of the board examination for Social Work professionals.
The Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW) option is for clinical-level professionals that have completed 4,000 supervision hours and passed the board examination offered by the ASWB.
More on Social Work Programs in Iowa
The Iowa Board of Social Work Examiners sets the standard for upcoming social workers and their degree and experience requirements. Colleges in Iowa that may currently accept students into reliable MSW programs may include the University of Northern Iowa, the University of Iowa, Saint Ambrose University, and Clarke University.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
These universities are located in busy college-focused areas such as Iowa City, Cedar Falls, and Davenport. Residents of these areas and beyond can be invited to take part in educational programs focusing on some of the most vital aspects of social work, such as Child and Family Social Work and Trauma-Informed Care.<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->