Arizona MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
The Master of Social Work program is a great option for those in Arizona that have already completed a bachelors-level program in social work or related field. This program can assist with providing a more focused perspective on various groups within society - most of which require assistance with maintaining a healthy and productive way of life.
Universities throughout the state of Arizona can provide you with the curriculum needed to help sharpen your skills and begin your journey towards licensure as a social worker.
Specialization options are a great way to focus your skills within particular areas in society. Some students choose to take the clinical route, which can provide you with counseling skills relevant to the needs of society, while others may take on leadership specializations or those within a particular social field. Regardless of which specialization you prefer, there may be degree programs in Arizona that can help you obtain the job you desire.
Consider Licensure When Choosing a MSW Program
Those interested in becoming licensed within the field of social work should always be up to date with their state's requirements. As the times change, the requirements for licensure may also change.
One way that you can thwart this interference is becoming familiar with licensure agencies within your area. In the state of Arizona, the agency of interest for upcoming licensed social workers is the Arizona State Board of Behavioral Health Examiners.
Online MSW Programs in Arizona
There are 3 schools in Arizona with a Master of Social Work program. Only one of those is CSWE accredted (Council of Social Work Education), and is located in Phoenix, AZ.
If you are currently employed or have life duties that could possibly interfere with your ability to attend regular classes, online MSW programs may be the best option for your lifestyle. These online programs may have been designed to provide you with information about specific groups of society, while encouraging you to engage in self-learning throughout the process.
The online learning environment may consist of many different components including virtual interaction with instructors, email correspondence with classmates and online submission of assignments through your educational website. Most online MSW programs can be completed in 1-2 years, with some part-time options requiring slightly more time. Check out some online MSW programs for upcoming students below.
If You Do Not Yet Have a Bachelors: View BSW programs in Arizona(includes online).
Arizona Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Social Workers in Arizona can work with families, in schools, and even in the healthcare field after completing all educational and licensing requirements. The role of each Social Work professional and their respective salaries are listed below for you to review.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: Median salary of $38,980 per year in Arizona. Social workers in this specialized area may work directly with children in the welfare system. In some cases, social work professionals may advocate for children that have experienced neglect or abuse. In the school system, social work professionals may meet regularly with children to ensure their emotional, behavioral, and educational well-being.
- Healthcare Social Workers: Median salary of $60,910 per year in Arizona. Healthcare Social Workers work hand-in-hand with clients that have been diagnosed with moderate to severe illnesses or disease. Part of the goal of the social worker in this field is to provide support, guidance, and services to clients that are coping with life-changing illnesses that interfere with their overall quality of life.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: Median salary of $38,590 per year in Arizona. Individuals that are working through mental health issues or those struggling with addiction can work with social workers to find alternative paths to healing. Through counseling services, referrals to outpatient services, and coaching, social workers in this field can assist their clients with finding positive paths to happy and health lifestyles.
- Social Workers, All Other: Median salary of $60,510 per year in Arizona. Social work professionals in the state of Arizona can pursue unique career opportunities at the MSW level. MSWs under supervision of LCSWs can provide therapeutic services in mental health and social service settings, as well as within private social work organizations. Social workers may also obtain careers in the judicial system, through child advocacy centers, and within the local government.
Social Worker Salaries in Arizona’s Metropolitan Areas
- Flagstaff: $48,570 median salary per year
- Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale: $60,510 median salary per year
- Prescott: $75,420 median salary per year
- Tucson: $67,520 median salary per year
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Child, Family, and School Social Workers; Healthcare Social Workers; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers; Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.
Arizona Social Work Licensure
The Arizona State Board of Behavioral Health Examiners is the agency responsible for reviewing and processing applications for social work licensure.
In the state of Arizona, graduates from MSW programs are not required to engage in any post-degree experience to qualify for licensing.
If you are interested in becoming a Licensed Masters Social Worker within this state, you can complete an accredited MSW program, pass the ASWB examination, and submit your application and documentation to the board for consideration.
Several Samples of Online MSW Program Tracks
- Online MSW – Clinical Social Work: Clinical Social Work degree programs can assist students with learning about the many diverse issues that can interfere with healthy functioning in children and adults. Using some cues from counseling, this specialization is a great way to implement your expertise in many different professional fields and expand your opportunities as a licensed social worker.
- Online MSW – Child and Family Social Work: Child and Family Social Work is a huge aspect of the social work field. In this specialization, you can learn about providing resources to families in need, identifying evidence of child abuse and the legal process of providing a safe haven for children and families in need. Through this program, you may also gain the skills necessary for working with individuals seeking improvements in order to reunify their families.