The state of Alaska can be a great place for Americans to call home. Alaska may have a large need for upcoming social work professionals with the skills to effectively influence those around them. One of the most effective means for students to achieve their goal of helping others is through taking part in Alaska's MSW degree programs.
This state currently has 1 CSWE-accredited MSW program for students to enroll in. Located at the University of Alaska in Anchorage, this program may consist of coursework that can be vital to the success for social work professionals. This MSW program also contains CSWE accreditation, making it a reliable choice for residents in this area.
Online MSW Programs in Alaska
Students that have yet to consider online education for their degree programs may be missing out on the opportunity for convenience and flexibility in their learning.
Alaska is one of the many states that have implemented online options into their portfolio, since it can allow students with diversified needs to achieve higher level degrees.
The University of Alaska at Anchorage Online MSW
The University of Alaska at Anchorage current provides a MSW program that can be completed entirely online. Students interested in continuing a full-time job or simply just the convenience of flexible scheduling are encouraged to consider degree programs such as this one during their search.
If you enroll in the University of Alaska's online MSW program, you can possibly choose from full-time, part-time, or advanced standing options. This degree program was designed exclusively for residents of this state and may require you to attend campus 2 times throughout the program. These on-campus experiences can be helpful in allowing you to utilize some of the skills learned throughout your program in group workshops and practice experiences that can further extend your understanding of the material.
Alaska Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Alaska residents interested in pursuing careers with their MSW degree can do so through obtaining a license within their state. Unique career opportunities including those working with all age groups may be available to licensees interested in making a difference in the lives of others.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: Median salary of $47,110 per year in Alaska. Social work professionals working with children and families may analyze family dynamics to provide needed services and supports for positive emotional and physical health. In the school system, social workers may act as an added support system for children and their families through monitoring, consults with educators, and school/home visits.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: Median salary of $40,980 per year in Alaska. Substance Abuse Social Workers can counsel clients in order to identify triggers for substance abuse and addiction. This can provide a foundation for intervention or continued treatment towards sobriety goals. Mental Health Social Work professionals can assist clients with obtaining mental health services and overseeing continued care throughout their treatment.
- Healthcare Social Workers: Median salary of $72,070 per year in Alaska. Social workers in the field of healthcare can work with clients that are receiving treatment for various health-related illnesses and disease. Social workers may assist clients with finding supportive counseling services, financial support, or advocacy during their treatment program.
- Social Workers, All Other: Median salary of $69,930 per year in Alaska. Many diverse career fields in Alaska may hire on social work professionals to provide close support to individuals. The court system, public health, education, and social services are just a few of the many fields that can benefit from having social workers on staff. Within these roles, professionals can act as the voice and provider for clients involved in these systems.
Social Worker Salaries in Alaska
- Anchorage: $84,120 median salary per year
- Fairbanks: $44,620 median salary per year
Alaska Social Work Licensure
The Alaska State Board of Social Work Examiners is the licensing agent for MSW graduates within this state.
In order to be considered for licensure at the MSW level, you must have graduated from an accredited MSW degree program and sat for the social work certification examination. The state board may also request that you submit letters of recommendation along with your application to verify your integrity and reliability as a social work professional.
More on MSW Programs in Alaska
If you have a plan to become licensed in the field of social work after graduation, you should choose degree programs that are aligned with your state’s requirement for licensure.
In Alaska, graduates seeking licensure must submit their application to the Alaska Board of Social Work Examiners in order to be approved. Students that have successfully completed a CSWE-accredited degree program and have completed the right amount of supervised experience hours may be permitted to take the state examination in social work and become qualified for professional licensure.