Alabama MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
Residents of the state of Alabama that might be interested in pursuing a Masters in Social Work (MSW) can access MSW degree programs at multiple locations throughout their state.
According to our team of educational experts, there are 6 accredited degree programs current accepting new applicants into their program throughout the state. Universities such as Alabama A & M University and the University of Alabama may be hot-spots for students that are interested in both high-quality education and attending a well-known and respected university.
Students that live in cities such as Normal and Tuscaloosa may also be the most popular areas for MSW learners in the state.
Different MSW Program Tracks Available
Degree programs currently available in Alabama may provide students with the opportunity to explore different specializations in the field of social work. Accredited programs throughout this state may allow students to choose from concentrations such as Children, Adolescents, and their Families or Adults and their Families.
Depending on your interests, there may be a specialization that suits your skills and career aspirations. If you are seeking more information about the licensure process for social work professionals, your top resource in this state should be the Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners.
Online MSW Programs in Alabama
While there are 6 MSW programs currently available for us in the state of Alabama, one in particular offers students the convenience of a completely online experience. The top provider for online MSW programs within Alabama is the University of Alabama. Located in Tuscaloosa, the University of Alabama currently offers students the option of full-time, part-time, or advanced standing degree programs in social work to choose from.
These options can make the decision to enroll in the online MSW more attractive for students that have previously obtained the BSW and are licensed, as well as for students that are transitioning from bachelors programs that do not focus on social work.
Students from all over America are welcome to enroll in this program, which can provide a reliable curriculum currently approved by the CSWE.
Alabama Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Alabama's MSW graduates pursuing licensing can engage in careers that provides valuable assistance to members of their community. Connecting with Alabama's licensing agency can help prepare you for obtaining careers in child and family social work, healthcare social work, or even in specialty fields such as rehabilitation and substance abuse social work.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: Median salary of $42,280 per year in Alabama. Social workers in this specialization may work closely with children in the school system or in the natural environment to support positive growth, analyze for needed services, and act as an advocate for their care. Social workers in this field can also coordinate family services, contribute to reunification of families, and attend court hearings concerning family welfare.
- Healthcare Social Workers: Median salary of $49,040 per year in Alabama. Social workers in the healthcare field work one-on-one with healthcare clients and their families as they navigate treatment and the emotional effects of short or long-term illness. Professionals in this line of work can partner with hospitals or other healthcare facilities to provide daily support to individuals and their families.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: Median salary of $36,600 in Alabama. Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers may provide one-on-one assessment, treatment planning, and environmental support to clients that have been diagnosed with mental illness or are fighting substance abuse and addiction problems. Social workers in this field may assist their clients with finding supportive resources in the community, as well as identifying supportive people within their lives to assist them with growth and healing.
- Social Workers, All Other: Median salary of $71,300 per year in Alabama. Social work professionals can be found in numerous career fields throughout this state. Social workers may act as social advocates for the court system, as leaders within social service agencies, or as therapeutic providers at the MSW level.
Social Worker Salaries in Alabama’s Metropolitan Areas
- Birmingham: $75,610 median salary per year
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Child, Family, and School Social Workers; Healthcare Social Workers; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers; Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.
Alabama Social Work Licensure
MSW graduates can connect with The Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners to apply and be approved for licensing.
Requirements for licensing at the master's level includes completion of an accredited MSW degree program and completion of the ASWB's Master's examination.
Upcoming social work professionals that have previously completed their BSW licensure may qualify to participate in expedited MSW degree programs. The LCSW licensing option may also be available for graduates that complete 2-3 years of supervised experience with a licensed clinical social worker.
Accredited degree programs are your quickest resource for obtaining licensure in the field of social work, since accreditation is often a requirement of degree programs in offices that oversee MSW licensure.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
As an added component for this degree program, students may be given the opportunity to meet on-campus on Saturdays to take part in education workshops to help strengthen their skills. A supervised internship component may also be required of students enrolled in this program as their near the end of their program.<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->