For residents of Utah, the need for educated and well-trained professionals in social work may be at an all-time high.
In some regions of the state, families are broken by financial distress, others may be homeless or seeking state assistance, and individuals in long-term health facilities may be in need of professional advising for their medical decisions. You might consider looking for a MSW program (on campus or online) that has a focus on rural communities.
All of these positions can be filled by social workers that have completed a MSW degree in the state of Utah. Throughout your great state, there are 4 MSW programs available for you to utilize. Each of these programs can allow you to learn more about the people within your area and the services available to assist them.
Accredited Utah MSW Programs
One of the major components of choosing to pursue a social work degree is its licensing accreditation. Programs may be offered and advertised regularly, but it is important to determine which programs are accredited by the CSWE. This agency is responsible for the accreditation of social work degree programs that may be used for licensure.
Currently, the University of Utah, Utah State University, and Brigham-Young University are CSWE-accredited providers of MSW programs throughout this state. Some of the most popular cities for MSW programs are Salt Lake City and Provo.
Utah Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Social Work professionals in Utah can work one-on-one with individuals in every age range. Take a look through the information provided in this guide to learn more about your career roles and salaries within each specialized area.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $44,920 median salary per year. When taking a job in this field, you can expect to spend time ensuring that your clients are receiving adequate mental health, healthcare, and educational services. Connecting families and ensuring educational success are just a few of the many responsibilities in this field.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $63,850 median salary per year. Healthcare Social Workers can be great partners to individuals with serious health-related needs. Educating patients on their conditional and needed services can be part of your job in this area, as well as communicating with providers and physicians to ensure fair and proper treatments.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $46,720 median salary per year. Social Workers in this area may work for Mental Health or Substance Abuse facilities. Establishing a care program for clients that includes housing, support, and follow-up care can be your main career role when working in this specialty area.
- Social Workers, All Other: $45,360 median salary per year. Social Work positions that include client advocacy and clinical treatment can be found within the state of Utah. Some specialized treatments such as trauma-focused therapy and individualized counseling can be provided by clinical Social Work professionals that complete additional training and certification.
Social Worker Salaries in Utah’s Metropolitan Areas
- Ogden: $39,130 median salary per year
- Provo: $47,920 median salary per year
- Salt Lake City: $66,790 median salary per year
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Child, Family, and School Social Workers; Healthcare Social Workers; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers; Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.
Utah Social Work Licensure
The Utah Department of Commerce Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing has different licensing options for individuals depending on their level of education. Individuals that have completed accredited MSW programs may qualify for licensing as Certified Social Workers (CSWs).
This option requires completion of the ASWB examination for master's degree holders and the application process through the state. If you are interested in clinical licensing, this state requires 2 years of supervised clinical experience and passing of a higher level board examination for clinical candidates.
Online MSW Programs in Utah
Engaging in course work in the online setting can be a great complementary degree option for currently employed social work professionals. The online MSW program at the University of Utah even has specialty part-time programs for employees of social service agencies throughout the state.
Part Time Programs for Adult / Working Students
Part-time MSW programs may also be available through Utah State University. In each of these universities, students can engage with instructors and other students through the online learning platform, log in at times of their choosing, and submit course work through convenient online tools.
What Types of Specialization Options Are There for the MSW?
Choosing specializations with your online MSW degree can be great when you have the urge to affect certain groups in your community. Micro, Macro, and Mezzo social work specializations can be found at different universities, which can put you in touch with the individuals are groups that mean the most to you.
If you would like to learn more about what it takes to become a licensed social worker within the state of Utah, you should review the recommendations and requirements provided by the Utah Social Worker Licensing Board. This agency can be a helpful guide for students that are looking through prospective schools in search of online MSW programs that can lead to advanced licensure.
Through online educational programs in Utah, students can potentially change the lives of others through great-quality work and dedication to community improvement.