Consider a Featured CSWE Accredited Online MSW Program
People living in Tennessee may be able to provide others with hundreds of reasons why their state is the best. This state can be an unbelievable place to engage in a social work career, due to the southern charm and friendly nature of its residents.
If you are one of the great residents of Tennessee, you should consider enrolling in MSW programs currently offered by your top universities. The organization responsible for reviewing applications for licensure in this state is the Tennessee Board of Social Workers.
One of the primary components for license approval in this state is the acquisition of an accredited MSW degree. Throughout the state of Tennessee, there are 9 MSW programs available to determined students.
Consider featured online MSW programs that are currently accepting applicants for their Master of Social Work degree.
Consider a Featured Online Social Work Program
|School / Program||Online Program / Entry Reqs||Advanced Standing Availability / Course Information|
|University of Denver||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing Program available. Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.Learn More
|Fordham University||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. Advanced standing and traditional MSW options. Four areas of focus: Individuals and Families, Organizations and Community, Evaluation, and Policy Practice and Advocacy.Learn More
|University of Southern California||✔ Online|
Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.).Learn More
|University of Kentucky||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. MSW program includes options for an advanced-standing program (30 credits) and a 60-credit regular standing program.Learn More
|Baylor University||✔ Online|
No GRE Scores Required
Advanced Standing Program available. 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.Learn More
|Case Western Reserve University||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing available. Earn your online master’s in social work from Case Western Reserve University, a top-ranked school of social work. No GRE required.Learn More
Online MSW Programs in Tennessee
Those of you that are more focused on working hard and tending to your families may find online educational programs to be slightly more attractive than their traditional alternative.
The attractiveness of these degree programs may stem from their willingness to allow students to log in whenever they find the time, providing pre-established due dates for students to plan around, and establishing an open forum for questions or support throughout the process.
Online MSW programs in Tennessee can be found at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. This university currently contains CSWE accreditation for its online program, which is currently available in full-time, part-time, and advanced standing statuses.
Multiple Specialty Tracks
Students that choose to enroll in this program can choose from specialization options such as Clinical Social Work or Macro Social Work. These noted programs are completed entirely online and currently require no official visits on campus.
For students seeking even more specialization with their degree program, this university may also offer certificate options to go alongside your MSW degree. Gerontology, School Social Work, and Veterinary Social Work certificate can also be earned by students that may be interested in any of these paths.
Earn your Master of Social Work online from the University of Denver's top-20 school of social work. CSWE-accredited. MSW @ Denver offers two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.
Fordham's top-ranked Graduate School of Social Service offers a future-focused online MSW program, preparing students for integrated practice with all populations. Bachelor's degree required. CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information.
Lead change at the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.). CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information at MSW.USC.edu.
Tennessee Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Social Workers in Tennessee can work for welfare systems, healthcare facilities, and even in private practice. The popular career offerings and salaries for these options can help you make the right decision for your future.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $42,690 median salary per year. Part of the role of the Child, Family, and School Social Worker is to analyze the needs of clients through questionnaires, consults with professionals, and historical knowledge and data. Medical, educational, emotional, and vocational goals can be established by workers in this field.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $50,020 median salary per year. In Healthcare, Social Workers can help clients understand their diagnoses, treatments, and even alternative options available to them. Advocating for fair treatment and working with families as they navigate the Healthcare system may be another important component in this career field.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $34,740 median salary per year. Social Workers in these fields can assist clients as they progress through various mental illnesses or disorders - including addictions. Finding Mental Health services, checking progress on treatment goals, and conducting regular visits with clients is a large part of what professionals in this field may be responsible for.
- Social Workers, All Other: $47,840 median salary per year. If you are seeking Social Work positions in Tennessee, you can work directly with clients in non-clinical positions or seek out clinical options through additional training and certification. Clinical positions can include providing direct mental health services to clients independently.
Social Worker Salaries in Tennessee
- Chattanooga: $50,600 median salary per year
- Clarksville: $41,230 median salary per year
- Knoxville: $37,150 median salary per year
- Nashville: $51,690 median salary per year
Tennessee Social Work Licensure
The Tennessee Board of Social Workers allows social workers to become licensed at either the bachelor's or master's level. MSW graduates can pursue the Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) option through completion of a CSWE-accredited MSW program and completion of the ASWB examination for their degree level.
Applicants that complete 3,000 hours of clinical experience under the supervision of a LCSW can also qualify for this type of licensing after completion of a board examination.
More on Social Work Programs in Tennessee
Austin Peay State University, East Tennessee State University, and Middle Tennessee State University are just a few examples of the 9 colleges that provide these programs. Big cities such as Knoxville, Murfreesboro, and Clarksville are some of the more popular areas of interest for social work prospects.
Six of the programs provided throughout the state contain CSWE accreditation, which is the leading type of accreditation for social work degree programs. Concentration options available at Tennessee universities may include Advanced Generalist Social Work Practice, Gerontology, and School Social Work.
Recap of Tennessee MSW Programs and Licensure
- MSW Programs: There are 9 MSW programs in Tennessee, including an online MSW program facilitated by a Tennessee based university.
- CSWE Accredited MSW Programs: There are 7 Tennessee MSW programs accredited by the CSWE. View our list of Online CSWE Accredited MSW programs.
- Social Work Licensure: Licensure is administered by The Tennessee Board of Social Workers.
List of MSW Programs in Tennessee
University of Denver
University of Southern California
George Mason University
University of Kentucky
CSWE Accredited Tennessee MSW Programs
The CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) is the top accrediting board for MSW programs. Below you will find a list of CSWE accredited social work programs in Tennessee.