Consider a Featured CSWE Accredited Online MSW Program
Massachusetts MSW Programs
Schools with MSW Programs
Social Work Licensure
Social Work Careers
Degree programs in social work can be a great resource for upcoming professionals interested in making a difference within their communities.
Massachusetts is a state that promotes social awareness, helping others, and working together for a greater cause. If you are a resident of this state, you should consider looking within to find a MSW program that can help you meet your goals.
All over Massachusetts, students may find that there are 9 MSW programs current accepting new students.
All of these programs hold CSWE-accreditation, which is the leading type of accreditation for social work degree programs. Each MSW program available can help you to become more knowledgeable about the techniques and tools available for use in social work positions, as well as the laws and regulations that are common to those that work in it.
Consider featured online MSW programs that are currently accepting applicants for their Master of Social Work degree.
Consider a Featured Online Social Work Program
|School / Program||Online Program / Entry Reqs||Advanced Standing Availability / Course Information|
|University of Denver||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing Program available. Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.Learn More
|Fordham University||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. Advanced standing and traditional MSW options. Four areas of focus: Individuals and Families, Organizations and Community, Evaluation, and Policy Practice and Advocacy.Learn More
|University of Southern California||✔ Online|
Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.).Learn More
|University of Kentucky||✔ Online|
Advanced Standing Program available. MSW program includes options for an advanced-standing program (30 credits) and a 60-credit regular standing program.Learn More
|Baylor University||✔ Online|
No GRE Scores Required
Advanced Standing Program available. 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.Learn More
|Case Western Reserve University||✔ Online|
No GRE Required
Advanced Standing available. Earn your online master’s in social work from Case Western Reserve University, a top-ranked school of social work. No GRE required.Learn More
Online MSW Programs in Massachusetts
Busy adults currently holding full-time jobs and working around a full family life may find the idea of higher education beyond their reach.
In order to accommodate these needs, universities within the state of Massachusetts may have taken on a slightly different perspective with the MSW programs. This state currently offers students the option of pursuing the MSW completely online.
If you were to engage in a search of available programs within this state, you might find that there are 2 CSWE-accredited online MSW programs in the state. Reliable programs can be found at Simmons College and Boston University.
Boston University can provide students with part-time program for advanced standing students, those with human service experience, and also for traditional learners.
Concentration options at this school include Clinical Social Work and Macro Social Work Practice.
Simmons College is open to students from all over the country and offers full-time and advanced standing options. Specializations at this university may include Clinical Social Work, specialized areas in mental health and substance abuse, Child and Family Welfare, Trauma and Interpersonal Violence, and Health and Aging.
Earn your Master of Social Work online from the University of Denver's top-20 school of social work. CSWE-accredited. MSW @ Denver offers two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.
Fordham's top-ranked Graduate School of Social Service offers a future-focused online MSW program, preparing students for integrated practice with all populations. Bachelor's degree required. CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information.
Lead change at the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.). CSWE Accredited.
Click for admissions information at MSW.USC.edu.
Massachusetts Social Worker Careers with an MSW Degree
Social Workers in Massachusetts can work in a wide variety of fields and with diverse clients with differing needs. In the guide below, you can learn more about these different specialty areas, as well as the average salaries by metropolitan areas.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: $43,980 median salary per year. Child and Family Social Workers work closely with families with involvement in the child welfare system. Home visits, attending court, and permanency planning are just a few of the many responsibilities of professionals in this line of work. School Social Workers typically work directly in the school system to help develop plans to lessen interference in a child's educational, emotional, and behavioral progress.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $61,460 median salary per year. Healthcare Social Workers often work in the clinical setting and provide direct assistance to clients with health-related needs. Professionals in this field advocate for their clients and any medical needs that are necessary, as well as provide patient education for different types of medical services, insurance, and treatment options along the way.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: $38,330 median salary per year. Mental Health Social Workers can partner with individuals with mental health diagnoses or even substance abuse issues. Organizing and following up on individual and group therapy progress, locating supportive resources, and crisis intervention services are a few of the major responsibilities of Mental Health Social Workers in society today.
- Social Workers, All Other: $76,670 median salary per year. Alternative Social Work careers in your area can be incredibly diverse. Social Workers can be educators for upcoming professionals in the field or even educators for the community in which they live. Some Social Workers may even work in research fields that were designed to make Social Work a more efficient and effective resource for individuals in need of assistance.
Social Worker Salaries in Massachusetts
- Barnstable Town: $47,180 median salary per year
- Boston: $74,420 median salary per year
- Leominster: $40,030 median salary per year
- Cambridge: $74,420 median salary per year
Massachusetts Social Work Licensure
The Massachusetts Board of Registration of Social Workers is the primary provider of licensure for Social Workers in Massachusetts.
If you currently hold a masters degree and are interested in becoming licensed in this field, the board requires that you submit your application, letters of recommendation, and official transcripts to their office for consideration.
In addition to application requirements, applicants for the Licensed Certified Social Worker distinction must also successfully pass the ASWB certification examination prior to be approved for licensure.
More on Social Work Programs in Massachusetts
Salem State University, Boston College, Smith College, and Simmons College are just a few examples of the schools that currently offer these programs. Some of the most popular cities to find MSW programs may also be Salem, Bridgewater, and Springfield.
If you have a desire to work with particular groups within the community, Massachusetts degree programs may also provide specialty degree options at different locations. Specializations may include Clinical Social Work and Child Life and Family Centered Care.
With many different MSW programs in Massachusetts, there are quite a few options to choose from considering the small land mass of the state. All 9 MSW programs are CSWE accredited – leaving no doubt the Master of Social Work degree pursued at any university or college in Massachusetts will be accredited by the best social work degree accrediting body at the program level.
Recap of Massachusetts MSW Programs and Licensure
- MSW Programs: There are 10 MSW programs and 2 online MSW programs in Maryland.
- CSWE Accredited MSW Programs: All Maryland MSW Programs (including online) are CSWE accredited.
- Social Work Licensure: Licensure is required and run by The Massachusetts Board of Registration of Social Workers.
List of MSW Programs in Massachusetts
University of Denver
University of Southern California
George Mason University
University of Kentucky
CSWE Accredited Massachusetts MSW Programs
The CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) is the top accrediting board for MSW programs. Below you will find a list of CSWE accredited social work programs in Massachusetts.