Consider a Featured CSWE Accredited Online MSW Program
MSW programs can provide learners with the knowledge and experience to make a difference in the lives of others. People may be attracted to this field due to their own feelings of generosity or their desire to improve their communities.
In Florida, residents have many different options for engaging in MSW programs, both at traditional institutions and in an online setting. There are also Advanced Standing MSW Programs and multiple online, part-time MSW programs at Florida universities.
Part-time MSW programs are an excellent choice for those currently employed, while Advanced Standing MSW program is the ideal choice for those that already have their Bachelor of Social Work, or BSW.
MSW programs involve a deeper look into the schematics of society. Students in these programs seek to understand why people act and react to certain life circumstances, as well as what methods are available to assist with improving their clients' quality of life.
Consider featured online MSW programs that are currently accepting applicants for their Master of Social Work degree.
Consider a Featured Online Social Work ProgramClick the university name for information on admissions, courses, status of accreditation, and more.
|School / Program||Online Program?||Advanced Standing Availability||Course Information|
|Fordham University||cast_connected Online||check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||class Accelerated, full-time, and part-time options. Advanced standing for qualified students with a BSW.|
|Baylor University||cast_connected Online
No GRE Scores Required
|check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||class 2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.|
|Case Western Reserve University||cast_connected Online
No GRE Required
|check_circle Advanced Standing available.||class CSWE-accredited Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences—ranked No. 9 in 2019 for social work by U.S. News & World Report. MSSA degree is equivalent to an MSW, and can be completed in two and a half years.|
|University of Denver||cast_connected Online
No GRE Required
|check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||class Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW.|
|Ohio University||cast_connected Online||check_circle No GRE or GMAT||class Complete in as few as 24 months. Adult Mental Health, Child, Family, and School, and Social Policy.|
|University of Southern California||cast_connected Online||check_circle Ask Representative||class Earn a Master of Social Work online in as few as 12 months if you have a Bachelor of Social Work. Doctor of Social Work online can be completed through an accelerated 24 month track (master’s req.).|
Where are MSW Programs in Florida?
There are 10 MSW programs in Florida accredited by the CSWE, located across the state from the Gulf side to the Atlantic and inland.
In South Florida, Miami has three different Master of Social Work programs. Considering the large number of healthcare operations, facilities, and retirement communities, not to mention the growing population, there are quite a few opportunities for a career as a licensed social worker in Florida.
That are also a number of colleges in Florida that have an Online MSW program.
Online MSW Programs in Florida
Pursuing the MSW degree online can provide you with extra opportunities for work experience while engaged in your program. In Florida, there are plenty of universities that offer online MSW programs for you to enroll.
Florida State University On-Campus and Online MSW
At Florida State University, students can take part in a diverse MSW program that is offered both in-person and online. Traditional 2 year - MSW programs are available, as well as advanced standing paths for social work undergraduates, a part-time option for busy professionals, and the flexible online format. Perhaps the most prominent university offering the MSW online, Florida State University includes a high-quality and reputable degree program for students. The FSU online MSW includes a Clinically Focused Licensure option and a part-time MSW option.
The University of Central Florida is another option if you are interested in pursuing your degree online, offering full-time and part-time tracks for upcoming students.
Online MSW programs provide the same coursework as traditional degree programs. These programs are heavily scrutinized and reviewed for quality, allowing students to have confidence in their choice of degree.
A Few Sample Online MSW Programs in Florida
- The University of Central Florida: The University of Central Florida currently offers students the option of pursuing their online MSW in part-time and part-time advanced standing format. If you have some work experience in the field of social work, you could possibly take advantage of the advanced program that can help you complete your degree in a faster timeframe.
- The University of South Florida: For students that may be interested in taking on a full-load with their online program, the University of South Florida may have what they need. This university has full-time, part-time and advanced standing options for upcoming social work students. If you are interested in the clinical component of social work, this university may be the right choice for you. This university currently offers a competitive online MSW - Clinical Social Work Practice for incoming students.
- Florida State University: With part-time and advanced standing options currently available to students in the online domain, Florida State University is another great option for you to consider. As part of the general requirements, students in the general path may also be required to visit on-campus for 2 weekends during their program. Advanced standing students have no current on-campus requirements. Students can choose a generalist path or one in Clinical Social Work.
At Case Western Reserve University's CSWE-accredited Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences—ranked No. 9 in 2019 for social work by U.S. News & World Report—students can earn their Master of Science in Social Administration (MSSA) online. The degree is equivalent to an MSW, and can be completed in two and a half years. GRE scores are not required to apply.
Click for admissions information.
Campus Based Universities in Florida with a MSW
At the southern end of Florida, Barry University in Miami also provides an innovative MSW program for qualified students. This program is also suitable for students from varying backgrounds and consists of courses such as Human Development, Leadership, and Psychopathology. Tallahassee and Miami are well-known college towns for social work students, but other cities such as Fort Meyers and Orlando are also options for prospective applicants.
Multiple Specialization MSW Tracks
Online MSW programs in the state of Florida can provide students with further education into topics such as social welfare, social health and policy and methods for providing assistance through the social domain. Students enrolled in these programs may be expected to take part in a supervised work experience requirement that can provide them with more experience working in the social work field, as well as provide the experience needed for future licensure. Depending on the specialty chosen by students, this experience requirement could take place in various professional settings.
Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling
Residents of Florida working towards their licensure in social work should refer to the Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling. This agency is the governing resource for upcoming certified social workers.
Meeting the requirements of this agency can assist you in pursuing a meaningful career in social work after graduation. Since the universities offering online MSW programs are so widespread in this state, residents from varying geographical locations in Florida can potentially benefit from them.
What You Should Know About Social Work in Florida
If you are interested in obtaining a degree program in the online setting, you may be pleased to learn that the state of Florida currently offers 10 CSWE-accredited degree online programs for qualifying residents.
An MSW program can help you learn more about what it takes to be a helping hand to people in need of monetary or family assistance, those that are receiving medical care in hospitals or residential facilities or even individuals navigating the legal system.
Florida LCSW Licensing Requirements
Applicants for licensure as a LCSW in Florida must abide by the recommendations set by the state.
- The first requirement to becoming licensed in Florida is to obtain a Master’s or Doctoral degree from a CSWE-accredited degree program in Social Work.
- 24 credit hours including the Theory of Human Behavior and practical areas of clinically-oriented services must also be a part of the chosen degree program.
- Once the degree program is finished, graduates are required by the state of Florida to take part in 2 years of supervised experience under the direct supervision of a licensed clinical social worker.
- A board examination in social work, state law exam, and training courses in medical errors, HIV/AIDS, and domestic violence are also required prior to final approval.
Florida Social Worker Career Options
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers – $41,210 on average per year: Social workers that work first-hand with children, families, and for the education system have the opportunity in influencing children to open up about their difficulties and make good decisions for their lifestyle. These social workers may investigate instances of neglect or abuse for children, and follow-up with necessary court actions per their state’s requirements. In Florida, there are 9,780 social workers in this field currently employed (BLS; 2016).
- Healthcare Social Workers – $51,640 on average per year: Healthcare planning and coordination can be very difficult for people that are suffering from serious illness, injury, or old age. Healthcare social workers can assist individuals and families with arranging necessary services and fighting for the rights of their patients. Florida is a popular state for healthcare social workers throughout the country, with 6,390 professionals currently working in the field (BLS; 2016).
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers – $43,410 on average per year: People that receive mental health services or those that require rehabilitative services for substance abuse can use the expertise of social workers for their current and future planning. Through case reviews, assessments, and interviews, social workers can help their clients find meaningful and helpful paths to future wellness. In Florida, 3,190 professionals are currently hard at work in this field (BLS; 2016).
- Social Workers, all other – $66,880 on average per year: Social work can involve working individually with clients, finding out information about lifestyle, trauma, circumstances, and connections that are related to their clients, and locating services that can be helpful depending on the client’s needs. These services can be employed in many different settings throughout the social service field. In all other fields, there are 1,590 social workers working hard in the field (BLS; 2016).
List of MSW Programs in Florida
CSWE Accredited Florida MSW Programs
The CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) is the top accrediting board for MSW programs. Below you will find a list of CSWE accredited social work programs in Florida .