MSW programs can provide learners with the knowledge and experience to make a difference in the lives of others. People may be attracted to this field due to their own feelings of generosity or their desire to improve their communities.
In Florida, residents have many different options for engaging in MSW programs, both at traditional institutions and in an online setting. MSW programs involve a deeper look into the schematics of society.
Students in these programs seek to understand why people act and react to certain life circumstances, as well as what methods are available to assist with improving their clients' quality of life. At Florida State University, students can take part in a diverse MSW program that is offered both in-person and online. Traditional 2 year - MSW programs are available, as well as advanced standing paths for social work undergraduates, a part-time option for busy professionals, and the flexible online format.
At the southern end of Florida, Barry University in Miami also provides an innovative MSW program for qualified students. This program is also suitable for students from varying backgrounds and consists of courses such as Human Development, Leadership, and Psychopathology. Tallahassee and Miami are well-known college towns for social work students, but other cities such as Fort Meyers and Orlando are also options for prospective applicants.
Consider featured online MSW programs that are currently accepting applicants for their Master of Social Work degree.
Consider a Featured Online MSW ProgramClick the university name for information on admissions, courses, accreditation status, and more.
|School / Program||Online Program?||Advanced Standing Availability||Course Information|
|Fordham University||check_circle Online||check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||Accelerated, full-time, and part-time options. Advanced standing for qualified students with a BSW|
|Baylor University||cast_connected Online
No GRE Scores Required
|check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||2 Specializations: Clinical Practice or Community Practice. Standard MSW and Advanced Standing MSW.|
|University of Denver||check_circle Online
No GRE Required
|check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||Two online graduate programs: a traditional MSW and an advanced standing MSW|
|Simmons University||check_circle Online
No GRE Required
|check_circle Accelerated Track Available||Accelerated: 15-month immersive program|
|University of Southern California||check_circle Online
Bachelor's Degree Required.
|check_circle Advanced Standing Program Available||Advanced standing program available to earn an MSW degree in under 1 year|
|Regis College||cast_connected Online||check_circle Apply with No GRE||class Complete in as few as 8 semesters|
There are 12 MSW programs in Florida, located across the state from the Gulf side to the Atlantic and inland. In South Florida, Miami has three different Master of Social Work programs. Considering the large number of healthcare operations, facilities, and retirement communities, not to mention the growing population, there are quite a few opportunities for a career as a licensed social worker in Florida. There are 11 CSWE accredited MSW programs in Florida.
Online MSW Programs in Florida
Pursuing the MSW degree online can provide you with extra opportunities for work experience while engaged in your program. In Florida, there are plenty of universities that offer online MSW programs for you to enroll. The most prominent university offering the MSW online is Florida State University. Known for its dedication and love of football, this university includes a high-quality and reputable degree program for you to enjoy. The University of Central Florida is another option if you are interested in pursuing your degree online, offering full-time and part-time tracks for upcoming students. Online MSW programs provide the same coursework as traditional degree programs. These programs are heavily scrutinized and reviewed for quality, allowing students to have confidence in their choice of degree.
A Few Sample Online MSW Programs in Florida
- The University of Central Florida: The University of Central Florida currently offers students the option of pursuing their online MSW in part-time and part-time advanced standing format. If you have some work experience in the field of social work, you could possibly take advantage of the advanced program that can help you complete your degree in a faster timeframe.
- The University of South Florida: For students that may be interested in taking on a full-load with their online program, the University of South Florida may have what they need. This university has full-time, part-time and advanced standing options for upcoming social work students. If you are interested in the clinical component of social work, this university may be the right choice for you. This university currently offers a competitive online MSW – Clinical Social Work Practice for incoming students.
- Florida State University: With part-time and advanced standing options currently available to students in the online domain, Florida State University is another great option for you to consider. As part of the general requirements, students in the general path may also be required to visit on-campus for 2 weekends during their program. Advanced standing students have no current on-campus requirements. Students can choose a generalist path or one in Clinical Social Work.
What You Should Know About Social Work in Florida
If you are interested in obtaining a degree program in the online setting, you may be pleased to learn that the state of Florida currently offers 3 CSWE-accredited degree online programs for qualifying residents. This program can help you learn more about what it takes to be a helping hand to people in need of monetary or family assistance, those that are receiving medical care in hospitals or residential facilities or even individuals navigating the legal system.
Online MSW programs in the state of Florida can provide students with further education into topics such as social welfare, social health and policy and methods for providing assistance through the social domain. Students enrolled in these programs may be expected to take part in a supervised work experience requirement that can provide them with more experience working in the social work field, as well as provide the experience needed for future licensure. Depending on the specialty chosen by students, this experience requirement could take place in various professional settings.
Residents of Florida working towards their licensure in social work should refer to the Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling. This agency is the governing resource for upcoming certified social workers. Meeting the requirements of this agency can assist you in pursuing a meaningful career in social work after graduation. Since the universities offering online MSW programs are so widespread in this state, residents from varying geographical locations in Florida can potentially benefit from them.
Florida LCSW Licensing Requirements
Applicants for licensure as a LCSW in Florida must abide by the recommendations set by the state.
- The first requirement to becoming licensed in Florida is to obtain a Master’s or Doctoral degree from a CSWE-accredited degree program in Social Work.
- 24 credit hours including the Theory of Human Behavior and practical areas of clinically-oriented services must also be a part of the chosen degree program.
- Once the degree program is finished, graduates are required by the state of Florida to take part in 2 years of supervised experience under the direct supervision of a licensed clinical social worker.
- A board examination in social work, state law exam, and training courses in medical errors, HIV/AIDS, and domestic violence are also required prior to final approval.
Florida Social Worker Career Options
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers – $41,210 on average per year: Social workers that work first-hand with children, families, and for the education system have the opportunity in influencing children to open up about their difficulties and make good decisions for their lifestyle. These social workers may investigate instances of neglect or abuse for children, and follow-up with necessary court actions per their state’s requirements. In Florida, there are 9,780 social workers in this field currently employed (BLS; 2016).
- Healthcare Social Workers – $51,640 on average per year: Healthcare planning and coordination can be very difficult for people that are suffering from serious illness, injury, or old age. Healthcare social workers can assist individuals and families with arranging necessary services and fighting for the rights of their patients. Florida is a popular state for healthcare social workers throughout the country, with 6,390 professionals currently working in the field (BLS; 2016).
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers – $43,410 on average per year: People that receive mental health services or those that require rehabilitative services for substance abuse can use the expertise of social workers for their current and future planning. Through case reviews, assessments, and interviews, social workers can help their clients find meaningful and helpful paths to future wellness. In Florida, 3,190 professionals are currently hard at work in this field (BLS; 2016).
- Social Workers, all other – $66,880 on average per year: Social work can involve working individually with clients, finding out information about lifestyle, trauma, circumstances, and connections that are related to their clients, and locating services that can be helpful depending on the client’s needs. These services can be employed in many different settings throughout the social service field. In all other fields, there are 1,590 social workers working hard in the field (BLS; 2016).