If you currently reside in the state of Tennessee, you may already be aware of the high need of social work professionals in this area. In order to become a social worker help fulfill this need, you must complete at minimum a Bachelor of Social Work degree program through an accredited university. BSW programs in Tennessee can be found at, among others:
- Austin Peay State University
- East Tennessee State University
- Lincoln Memorial University
- Middle Tennessee State University
- Tennessee State University
- The University of Tennessee-Knoxville
- University of Memphis
Already have your BSW? Check out MSW programs in Tennessee (includes online).
Consider an Online BSW Program
A large percentage of students in today's educational society may be seeking alternative and flexible means for obtaining a college degree. One of the most popular mediums for convenience is online degree programs.
Online programs can provide you with opportunity to learn from home and maintain a full-time working position while completing your program. More and more students can potentially earn their college degree through online programs within their area.
BSW Degrees in Tennessee
UT Knoxville is not the only option for Tennessee learners seeking a degree in social work. Other universities that can provide you with high-quality BSW programs in Tennessee include Austin Peay State University, East Tennessee State University, and Middle Tennessee State University.
Many learners pursuing BSW degrees at this university can move on to work in a variety of fields including healthcare, social services, and education. The general BSW program can provide you with a wide array of skills that can be helpful when working in any of these areas.
Most of the learning that takes place in the BSW program is through lectures and assigned course work. The classes that are included in this program can help prepare you for problem-solving, critical thinking, and ethical practice when working with clients.
Popular Accredited BSW Program
When you are prepared to begin your journey in the field of social work, you should start by seeking out accredited BSW options for enrollment. There are many different colleges offering this type of program within your state, making it necessary to thoroughly review your options before making a final decision.
University of Tennessee at Knoxville BSW
One of the most popular colleges and BSW programs currently available to you in Tennessee can be found at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. This leading university offers an incredibly versatile BSW program for incoming social work professionals from a wide variety of personal and professional backgrounds.
UT Knoxville's BSW program can last around 4 years for most learners. This program is filled with outstanding course work related to practice in multiple settings, as well as the opportunity to engage in in-depth learning through field experiences or internships.
This reputable university is currently accepting applications from new students intrigued by helping society through the application of social work practice. Our team recommends reading more about this degree program through its university website.
- Classes like Behavioral and Cognitive Methods for Social Work can help you practice for situations that involve crisis or mental health emergencies. Students participating in this course can learn more about different mental health disorders and their symptoms, as well as trauma and its influence on behavior.
- Trauma-Informed Social Work Practice is another course that can further educate learners about the emotional and behavioral effects of trauma on children, adolescents, and adults. This knowledge can be incredible useful when developing treatment programs for a variety of clients with diverse life experiences.
- Some BSW programs may also provide extensive learning in topics such as Interventions for Substance Abuse. Substance abuse is a huge area of concern for many practice areas and may require intervention from multiple perspectives for those in need.
- As you participate in each of these courses, you can gain more skills and knowledge to help others that may be struggling with different forms of trauma, addiction, or mental illness. The combination of course work offered through the BSW can help you become a well-informed practitioner focused on positive life changes for those you serve.
Tennessee BSW Careers and Salaries
All of the hard work and dedication that you put into a BSW degree can pay you back through fulfilling careers in the social work field. There are numerous career options for graduates of BSW degree programs, many of which in popular career fields throughout society.
Some graduates choose to pursue careers working for mental health and behavioral health agencies. Social workers can act as treatment planners or provide in-home behavioral health services for families with diverse treatment needs.
In social services, social workers can act as advocates for children or adults with extensive therapeutic or legal needs. If you choose to work in this field, you can work for organizations such as child welfare agencies or child and family advocacy non-profit agencies.
If you are interested in learning more about the earnings of social workers in your state before enrolling in your degree program, you might be intrigued to see that most social workers in Tennessee can earn $48,350 on average per year. This average is provide by the BLS and includes actual earnings from current social workers in your state.
2021 US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary and employment figures for Social Workers, All other, reflect national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed March 2023.